Logo

water pump question

bassforme

hello to all, I have a 199ish Mercury 40hp 4 cylinder 2 stroke seriel # 0G26592.
just bought a tracker pro 18 and I used it 3 times.noticed it wasn't peeing right and at times would stop completely so I bought a water pump and impeller installed seemed all went well,hooked up rabbit ears started outboard peeing real strong but I did notice water coming out of this area on lower unit(see pic).is this normal? so i pulled the lower unit and I seen water droplets on the drive shaft from above water pump.Im a newb when it comes to outboards but I work on vehicle motors and I use to work on the older 2 stroke dirt bikes back in the 80's
thanks for any advise

Attachments

• DSCN3191.jpg
    DSCN3191.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 28
You might have the muffs on with water pressure up too high try turning it down a bit and see if that stops the water from exiting the ports. They are there for water to be involved with cooling so don't be alarmed if water exits there.

You might have the muffs on with water pressure up too high try turning it down a bit and see if that stops the water from exiting the ports. They are there for water to be involved with cooling so don't be alarmed if water exits there.
...Thanks...not at home right now but will turn the water down when i get home...so the drive shaft is ok to be wet?

When water is pumped up towards your engine and circulates to effect cooling it is then directed into the leg along with the exhaust which then exits by the propeller which acts as a silencer. However excessive water also exits the vents (you arrowed) on some engines it also exits ports further up the leg so there is not reason to worry. Just ensure it also exits the 'pee-pee' as that it your first indicator of a warn impeller.. As Faztbullet says... GO FISHING...

Back