Logo

1998 5.7 mercruiser block crack oil pressure

Barnzyjr

Sorry if I post this twice I am new to the forum and I did not see the first attempt show up:

I am new to he IO world. Were I live we do not get too many freezes. Long story short did not remove all drain plugs. Found port side core plug out. Replaced and found 5 inch horizontal crack in block same side just a drip though. Going to attempt JB Weld till I can save for new block.

So far I have cranked an ran 2x for about 20 min. on muffs. (sounds good)
No change in oil color or amount.
Temp is ok on gauge
oil pressure is high 80 until warm then drops to 75
starboard riser is hotter and when i blow through hose to manifold it has more resistance and very little water coming out starboard side of outdrive
a little oily film noticed on ground behind prop.

I have ordered new riser gasket so I can inspect riser
I am checking cylinder pressure this week

Any guidance and comments welcome. Not sure what my chances are and what to do next to try making through this seasons

Once again sorry if this goes up twice

you may want to get new elbows....any idea how old the current ones have been in service?

I have only had the boat for a bit over a year. If I had to guess I would say since the engine was new. This being said I am not sure that this is the original engine as it is I have a few wires to nowhere. My plans were to start tracing and remove the old ones and then clean up the routing. The more I look at it the more work I find but kids and wife love the boat.

when i blow through hose to manifold it has more resistance and very little water coming out starboard

manifold and/or elbow is clogged

Back