Logo
  1. Default Well, I gotta ask... Getting dead gasoline outta the tank... Bayliner

1978 Bayliner Nisqually on a trailer -- anyone with a good idea on getting that stuff outta there? That juice is prolly 3 years old.

My only thought is to open the sending unit access, slide in an old garden hose, get on the ground and suck -- I don't own a transfer pump.

Any secret drain plugs I can't find?

Default Re: Well, I gotta ask... Getting dead gasoline outta the tank... Bayliner

It was You can remove the anti siphon valve on the tank and siphon it that way it just takes a while. You can burn the fuel up in your lawn mower i use my old ford pickup it dont mind.

Default Re: Well, I gotta ask... Getting dead gasoline outta the tank... Bayliner

I was replacing the fuel tanks on my boat and needed to remove the remaining gasoline. I found a flashlight-battery-powered pump that worked well for me. It requires a straight shot down into the tank as you can't flex the pickup tube. In my case, I was able to go through the tank's filler after the hose between the cap fitting and tank was removed. As I recall, the pickup tube is 13 inches from the inlet to "T" where the liquid is expelled. This is the pump: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7825_200407825

However you end up removing the gasoline, be super careful. Make sure the area is well ventilated. Remove all hatch covers. It just takes just one spark to set you and your boat on fire. It happened in my area just a couple years ago to two supposed professionals.

Hello,
    This was posted a while back but I had similar issues with some old cars that had sat for a while. In my view, gasoline is one of those areas where shortcuts can prove disastrous. None of us want to spend $ unnecessarily. I bought a 12V unit from https://www.gastapper.com/ and it worked great. Depending on the application, they also have gravity pumps which cost a good bit less.
    Bruce

Depending on your location, you can find professional services that will do this. Here in Maryland with gazillions of pleasure boats around, there are many many of these folks out there. Best to ask your local marina as they will probably be able to point you in the right direction.
    Getting the gas out is one thing, disposing of it properly is a whole 'nuther.
    Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching

Good point, there are a number of these services in the Chesapeake area. More expensive that DIY, but does solve the disposing issue. Bruce