Logo

2015 Twin Honda BF 50s tilt problem

One of my twin outboard's power tilt will not work. Motors have 28 hours each/ I have started my motors regularly and have not had this issue before. I checked my fuse and replaced it as well but still not working. I appreciate any guidance o next steps.

Will neither the console switch or the engine switch activate it? I'm not an expert on the 50, but the first thing I would do is take off the cover and trace the wire from the T/T motor to it's plug inside the cowling. Disconnect, check for a broken wire at the plug, clean contacts, and re-plug it.

correct, neither console or engine switch activates. Traced wires and all appears ok. re-plugged and still nothing. One of my batteries is being charged as it is showing lower voltage. Could a weak battery cause this issue? Sorry I am not sure on these issues.

OK. Yes, a weak battery will keep it from working. But I think that you should at least get a click in the relay. Test the motor. Apply 12 volts alternatively to the blue and then green wire with battery negative to black (common/ground) wire. If that doesn't budge the T/T mechanism, then you motor is likely shot. If that is the case, get the motor's part number. I have a list of cross references for API motors, which will be a lot less expensive than the Honda branded motors. [email protected].

Aloha Chawk, well here' s an update. Since my motor is fairly new and under warranty I was told to take boat to certified mechanic. My issue now is tilting my non-tilt working outboard up for trailering. I turned the manual relief screw counter clockwise but the motor will not budge. Any suggestions on next step?

My batteries were fully charged but the tilt motor has no sound or clicking noise at all. I tired tapping the tilt motor but still no response. the fuse was good and the wire harness appears in good shape. I could not check the tilt motor because I could not manually lift the motor.

Well, yes, you probably should take it in under warranty. But as far as getting the motor tilted up manually, are you positive that you are loosening the manual valve screw and not the one next to it? Many people, including me, have gotten them mixed up. And, if you loosen that other one too much, fluid will drain out.

If you find that you are loosening the manual valve and it still won't budge, look at the frame mount up under the power head and make sure nothing has gotten wedged up in there. It would be unusual but not impossible.

I am sure the screw being turned is the manual relief valve. The Honda motor I have has only one accessible screw with the manual relief words and arrows for power and manual engraved above it. I tried to look under the power head but have very limited view. I have read in another thread that many people neglect lubing and I am not quite sure if the grease lube has dried up because I have not lubed since I got the boat? I think there is a nipple for lube directly in front of motor mount. any guidance would help. I also will check my annual to see the lube point. I am hoping the motor tilt is not stuck because it is locked in place without lubrication. Not sure if I am on the right track!

These Honda T/T motors are typically very rugged and last a long time unless they get water in them.

Have you tried unplugging the connector to the motor and applying 12 volts directly as I described in post #4?

Aloha CHawk 25, No I have not checked the connector wires because I cannot get the motor to tilt up to access the tilt motor. I tried the manual relief valve screw method but motor still doesn't budge. I inquired if I should get marine grease and grease the nipple directly in-front of the steering bar that appears o grease the tit area but no sure if at is the appropriate nipple a if there at others. I have called the certified mechanic to see if I can pa him to come to m home and check I but no reply yet. The stuck tilt s really got me stumped.

Aloha CHawk, Could you walk me thru what or how I would apply 12 volts to the wiring connectors? I just want to go step by step so I do not screw up any electrical and cause more problems. Would appreciate it!

BTW I did locate the T/T harness that comes from the motor into the motor and the switch. Thank you for the link to the tilt diagram I have been trying to familiarize myself with components. Not sure yet where the relay would be!

The connector should have two pins coming from the T/T motor. It's a standard DC motor that runs in both directions. Hook up a set of auto starter cables to a good, fully charged battery. Then connect a set of probes to each of the starter cables. I use a set of probes from one of those cheap voltmeters - they should be at least 14 AGW. Momentarily touch the probes to the pins from the T/T motor connector. That should activate the T/T motor. Reversing the probes will turn the motor in the opposite direction. If I recall correctly, touching the positive probe to the light green wired pin (and the negative attached to the light blue wired pin) will raise the engine. Reversing those will lower the engine.

If the T/T motor does not activate, then you likely have a problem with the T/T motor itself, which should be covered under warranty.

However, after saying all of that, I have no idea why loosening the manual release will not allow you to lift the motor. Sounds like you might have some other problem.

Thank you so much for the step by step. Ill look in my tool boxes to see if I have a set of the probes. The pins from the T/T motor will be the end in the cowling thru the harness to up/down switch/box inside of motor correct? As for the manual relief I have searched the forum and still no idea. I turned t counter clockwise 21/2 turns and used all muscles to raise but nothing. I know other motors according to forum suggest to shift into forward but was not Honda motor so not sure if that could apply to me. I'll keep trying to solve

Thank you

If you don't have any probes, you can fabricate them using a piece of standard house electrical wire. Strip off about 10 inches of the cover on each end and strip off about 2.5 inches of insulation on each wire on each end. Peel back and tape, or cut off the bare ground wire.

Where the harness from the T/T motor comes into the main engine compartment through the upper cowling, there will be a 2-pin connector. Unplug that connector and apply the 12 volts to the pins on that connector that runs from the T/T motor.

I prepared the electrical wires as you said with the green ground wire taped off. The remaining white and black wires are now with 2-3 inches of insulation taken off on both ends. I am charging my battery to get to the 12.31 volts I have normally registered on multi-meter. Do I take one end of black and white wires and connect to the jumper cables that are connected to the battery and then follow your steps by connecting the other end of wires to the connector pins? Are there any cautions in which way to apply the 12 volts? If I am following your guidance I should:
1. Clamp the end of each jumper cable to wires one to black and on to white
2, Clamp jumper cables to battery for 12 volt power.
3. The remaining white and black wires will serves my probes and will be touched to each of the connector pins to see if the tilt motor will engage.
4. Reversing the wire to pin probe will be opposite tilt if motor engages.

Does it matter which wire (white or black) connects to the positive or negative battery/jumper cable post?
Any precautions to avoid shorting anything?

Thank you as you an see I am a real novice to this!

Just for thought! Is there a way for me to use my multimeter to test if I am getting voltage from battery to the motor by probing the connector pins at connection being used to apply direct battery connection in previous step?

Your post #19 is correct. It doesn't matter which is positive and which is negative, but since you are working with 12 volts, typical protocol says back should be negative. It doesn't matter which probes go to which pins. One way the motor will spin in one direction. Reverse them, the motor will go in the other direction.

Your post #20. If you have a helper who can activate the T/T switch while your engine battery is on, you can use your multimeter to see if you are getting 12 volts to the side of the connector coming from the T/T relay. If not, then there is a problem further upstream from the connector.

The whole idea here is to isolate whether you have a problem with the T/T motor, or a problem further upstream from the connector.

You can also use the multimeter to test whether or not you have continuity between the two wires coming from the T/T motor, which you should. But that doesn't tell you much.

Does anyone have a picture of the tilt motor wire harness connector pins under cowling? I am finding it difficult to decipher which wire are the right one coming into the cowling to locate the connector pins.

Back