Logo

2018 Tohatsu 20HP

searay1945

Just had a new 20HP installed on my skiff. I want to hook up a tach. It has remote steering and has 4 leads coming out of control box. The dealer has Farina tachs in stock so my question is what wires go where from the control box to the tach?
I think one lead is for engine warning light if tach is so equipped. Others are gnd, hot, and signal I presume, but what color is each lead? Are have I got it all wrong?

Yes, the leads from the RC box are for instruments. Full data is of course in the Factory service manual (available from any dealer -- even me). Outboards use alternator tachs, and the tachs must be set to the correct number of poles. I always advocate the OEM tachometers.

What is your actual model (not year)? If it's a 20E (EFI), you have options.

Not where I can get info right now but it is the 4stroke fuel injected 20hp. 20" shaft, electric start, remote steer,does not have lift assist. I think it is MFS 20C, but that is going on memory.
From what I've read on Tohatsu website, I believe it is 12 pole. I just wondered what color coding the leads have.
The dealer I bought from sells the Farina tachs which is why I thought that was a Tohatsu product.
As far as service manual is concerned, I took one look under the cowling and determined that no way I'm touching this motor other than plain old maintenance stuff, like oil, spark plug, impeller. Way to sophisticated for me.

Last edited:
OK, you have an MFS20EEPL. Yes, white is tach signal. That is in the full-color schematics of the Factory service manual. So, you see, you ARE doing more than oil changes, and the manual does have value.

Thanks for the info. The motor has an impressive 5 year limited warranty so hopefully it won't need much attention. I try to take care of my stuff so it works when I need it to work.

Sent an email to "[email protected]" about this and got a quick response. In case anyone needs to know: Red lead is switched power lead, black is ground, white is tach signal wire and green is oil warning lead.
This is for this specific model and may or may not be applicable to other models.

Back