Logo

Fire retardant sound dampening material options.

Chris Rohde

Regular Contributor
Hey guys, the old stuff the boat manufacturer put in 24 years ago has been falling apart. I've put some HVAC tape on it as a stopgap, but I'd like to replace this stuff with maybe something thicker and better for a bit more sound deadening as well. Any thoughts or ideas? I don't even know what they call this material. Thanks!!

20180318_104538.jpg

Go to home depot and get some foilback insulation. I wouldnt use the bubble wrap it will melt use the foil back with fiberglass filler.

Looks like what we removed a few years ago....a 'special' foam with a thin lead barrier with a reflective 'topcoat'.....over time, the heat from the engine room deteriorated the foam....as far as 'new' stuff to replace it, there are many options (i would not use regular foil faced insulation)....just search 'marine soundproofing' and read until you find something....

The only thing that will slow down the noise is a two layer system of closed cell PVC foam and mass loaded vinyl (MLV). There's also a product that sorta combines these layers but the foam is not closed cell so it will absorb water and oil. That stuff you have on there is doing virtually nothing.
Do your research. I found a lot of help at sounddeadenershowdown.com

Back