Logo

02 BF225 knock/tick noise at idle

Reelaxin

Hello All,

Been reading this forum for awhile and it's been extremely valuable in helping me maintain and get a better understanding of my Honda. Had the boat since 2007. Just performed yearly maintenance: oil change(mobil 1 10w 30), gear oil(Merc high performance gear oil), new spark lugs(NGK), new racor. Last year did water pump, thermostats, hp and lp filter. Back in 2015 I had the intermediate bushing changed. Recently a slight knocking or ticking is audible at idle out of the water and I'm wondering if the bushing is going bad. Seems to be coming from the midsection. Some times can be heard when in the water. Below is a video of the noise and a picture of the bushing from 2017. Does this bushing look bad? Kind of does to me. Probably should have been changed last year. I thought when the bushing goes bad it makes a screetching sound and not a knocking. Curious what the experts think. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/-_9BFyMqLfY

Attachments

• IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 99
I’m far from an expert but the bushing itself is fairly inexpensive compared to many of the other parts. I’d say change it myself if concerned

Thanks for the reply mheltun. Gonna change the bushing regardless. Just wondering if that is the reason for the noise. I’ve heard when these bushings go they whine and screech. Wonder if they produce a knock as well when going bad.

Update: Had bushing changed along with water pump and she purrs like a kitten. Kind of hard to see from the pics but it appears the rubber housing migrated in to the opening and caused an uneven wear on the bushing. Gonna make this part of normal maintenance when water pump gets done. Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 32
Doesn't seem right that it wore out that fast. Make sure that your flat washer and C clip are snug up against the bushing.

Chawk. Actually the bushing was last replaced in 2012. Got my dates mixed up. I had a mechanic I trust do the bushing and water pump, but I'll go ahead and keep an eye on it and mention to him about the C clip and washer. Thanks!

Back