Logo

water not coming out of 2004 bigfoot mercury 25hp outboard

CapnAhab

I am trying to see if I can get the water to come out of the peehole. Last year it wouldn't come out and I knocked a Mud Daubers nest off the top (see photo) and the water started flowing again. I took weedeater string and cleaned out the peehole as far as I could go. Then down by the Fin, at the bottom, there are the 6 holes on each side. I stuck wire in there too. But no luck. I saw a video where a guy (in Australia) had the problem and disconnected the hose on the motor that carries the water. It was blocked. I'm trying to figure out which hose on mine does this. I'm very inexperienced at boat motors. It's a major hassle to take the boat (out of the water) and to the repair place, to say nothing of the cost, so I'm doing what I can before taking that step. No running water at the dock. Could someone tell me if my picture shows the right hose? Any other tips much appreciated.Thankscooling water hose maybe.jpg

Can’t see clearly but that looks like electrical wire. Easiest way to find water hose is to use flashlight and follow it back from the tell tale outlet. I had same issue but the pipe cleaner into tell tale worked luckily sand came pouring out before water. And I think you are talking about dangar marine which are great videos to get help with most any problem I watch his videos all the time

Thanks for the reply. Actually it was the water hose. I had to reduce the picture so much to get it within size limits for here so it wasn't too clear. Unfortunately when I took the hose off no water came out. Nothing at all so I guess I'll have to haul it in and pay the many bucks. Right you are, that video I saw was from Dangar Marine. I'm assuming I was trying to clean the holes at the bottom where the water goes in (there are six openings on each side by the fin). Yesterday I turned it on and went in reverse to see if some water would be forced in but nothing came out.

One last try before spending that money try feeding a stiff fishing line as far down from tattle tell to see if u can break any sand loose while motor is running (not long in case no cooling at all) also it could be the thermostat not opening to lay water through.. Otherwise going to have to pull it like you said and check the water pump or even worse there could be a clog in the motor head but keep trying the biggest mistakes I have made with my boat is taking in for expensive repair that ended up being minor issues I was just to new to boat motors to try

One last try before spending that money try feeding a stiff fishing line as far down from tattle tell to see if u can break any sand loose while motor is running (not long in case no cooling at all) also it could be the thermostat not opening to lay water through.. Otherwise going to have to pull it like you said and check the water pump or even worse there could be a clog in the motor head but keep trying the biggest mistakes I have made with my boat is taking in for expensive repair that ended up being minor issues I was just to new to boat motors to try
I did run a thick weed eater plastic string through the tell tale. When I had the water hose off at the top I could run the string out the back. So that wasn't the problem. Is the thermostat visible in that above picture? Is it hard to change them? So would the only way to figure it out just be to buy a new thermostat and put it in?
Thanks

Here is the general part:https://www.wholesalemarine.com/the...MIrfCbxdeH2gIVREGGCh2AbwtwEAQYASABEgJZ4_D_BwE
and video showing in general where it is:https://youtu.be/adbKwuOl3qQ
Hard to see in your picture but it might be the thing the water line in running to in your picture, if not just use the parts diagram on this site to see where it is. Only like $20 for the kit so cheaper than water pump to start with.if boat was out of water would check water pump then thermostat but since you said cost you money to haul out would be easier to do the reverse and check thermostat first

Last edited:
That’s what I was going to say: Go to youtube and type in>> Uncloggingng outboard engines ... there are a bunch of them that can assist you way before you have to take it to a shop.

A guy just checked it out and tried some different ways to get the water running but no luck. He's pretty sure it's the water pump. Could someone tell me the part for a 2004 Bigfoot mercury 25hp outboard 4 stroke water pump. Thanks

Last edited:
A guy just checked it out and tried some different ways to get the water running but no luck. He's pretty sure it's the water pump. Could someone tell me the part for a 2004 Bigfoot mercury 25hp outboard 4 stroke water pump. Thanks
Looks like I found one locally. I haven't seen it yet but sounds like its the impeller and 4 gaskets. Thanks for the help in diagnosing the problem.

What I got from the local place was the impeller and 2 gaskets. A friends going to do the job. I see that some kits have more stuff with them. Should I get these too or can what I have do the job?

Attachments

• kit azon.jpg
    kit azon.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 48
I didn't look up your motor to find out what part numbers you needed. What you have may or may not be enough. Depends on what you have when the original pump is apart and inspected. Do that before you get more parts.

Back