Logo

Install manifolds. Need help

TDL

Help! I have twin 2004 BF225, 890 hours.

I tried to replace the internal anodes today, bought every parts except the seal guide (18148-cy3-003, did not read the shop manual carefully). Taking off the manifold are easy, however, I can’t make the screws aligned when I reinstalled the manifold; they just sat higher...I took the old seal guides out, cleaned and greased them, tried everything I could but the bolts are still 1/32” too high...

Do I have to use new seal guides? Or is there a trick to lower the manifolds?

Also, the shop manual does not mention silicon sealant between the manifold and exhaust pipes, but there are tons of grey silicon in there. Is that a factory job? Do I need to use sealant on the connecting surfaces?

I plan to use a rotary tool to brush off any residual sealant inside the bases, I don’t know what else to do at this point.

I know many people have done this before. Any comment is appreciated. Especially from mechanics like Hondadude..

When i did my 130 hp ,loosen the tappet nuts and turn the tappets out till you have some clearance .Then once the head is bolted and torqued then reset the tappets .

When i did my 130 hp ,loosen the tappet nuts and turn the tappets out till you have some clearance .Then once the head is bolted and torqued then reset the tappets .
There is no tappet nut on BF 225’s manifold. Just six bolts. Not sure what you are referring. Thanks!

Make sure you thoroughly clean the ends that go into the mount case, remove the seals you referred to earlier and clean and reinstall, fit new o ring, plenty of teflon grease and they should slide in easily, if not you can pry them down at the top, enough to get a couple of bolts. Ensure you install them straight as you can easily cut the o ring if the manifold is installed at an angle, then you will have to do it all again.

TDL - let us know if you solved this issue and what the problem was. Others will be interested.

Here is the update.

The weather was finally cooperative yesterday so I went down to the marina continuing my work. I did bring a rotary tool with me this time, but guess what? I forgot to bring the wire brush head! :mad:

So I started using sand paper to prepare the contact surfaces on the starboard side manifold, put a ton of greases on the contact surfaces and then slowly tabbed the manifold into the grove, still about 1/16" too high. took the manifold off, cleaned the grove, the place near the engine block was almost unreachable, applied greases, fitted and tabbed, removed and do it again and again, finally after two hours it fitted.....Then went worked on the port side. I decided to go to the nearest Homedepot to pick up a brush head for the Dremel, spent about 30 minutes to clean the grove on top of the exhaust pipe and finally was able to the metal surfaces; applied greases on all parts, tabbed a little, and the manifold fitted right in! Man, I should get the brush head first thing in the morning!

My conclusion is, I don't know who did the works previously, but that person definitely put too much silicon under the exhaust guide seals. I still need to work on my port side motor, but I will clean everything thoroughly next time.

Back