Logo

Johnson Evinrude early 90s rectifier replacement vro V4

Parkerd

Okay I have a Johnson Evinrude I think it's a 110 horsepower I replace the rectifier with a CDI Electronics rectifier and on the terminal block I have red wire red and purple wire a bluish gray wire and a gray wire coming inand on the new rectifier I have two yellow wires that go to the stator a gray wire a red wire and a purple wire coming out of the rectifier I do not know how to hook up the purple wire the red wire and the gray wire coming out of the rectifier

Thank you. I called CDI and they walked me through the installation of the rectifier it is now installed correctly and I did look at that wiring diagram also. I tested the boat out and it ran good for 5 minutes I then remember turning on the bilge pump just to see the draw and it started sputtering and as soon as I turned off the bilge pump it stopped sputtering I'm going to take it out again and eliminate the fuel system and put it in a 5 gallon premixed fuel system separate and then try again. I also check the grounds and clean them up and tighten them and I might have to replace that bilge pump but I'm not going to run it for now. I also check the resistance of each spark plug wire and cleaned up the primary and secondary coil connections for the spark plugs and hooked it all back up everything checked out I need to take it out for a test drive one more time and then see what happens

...I then remember turning on the bilge pump just to see the draw and it started sputtering and as soon as I turned off the bilge pump it stopped sputtering I'm going to take it out again and eliminate the fuel system....
You have a bad ground or a short somewhere. If you can flip a switch that creates a condition I'd say your issue has nothing to do with fuel delivery. You fuel pump system is completely air/mechanically driven so the power situation on the engine or battery system has no effect on how much fuel is delivered.

KJ

You have a bad ground or a short somewhere. If you can flip a switch that creates a condition I'd say your issue has nothing to do with fuel delivery. You fuel pump system is completely air/mechanically driven so the power situation on the engine or battery system has no effect on how much fuel is delivered.

KJ

Yes I agree thank you for your reply I may have worded that wrong but as I continue to say in the paragraph that that was one of the things I wanted to do because of its sputtering could be electrical more than likely because of the bilge pump or bad ground but I wanted to eliminate the fuel system

Back