Logo

Oil in fuel filter

Dac1203

Hello, this is my first post, I have a 2000 200hp Johnson ocean pro, can someone please explain why I see oil mixed with gas in my inline fuel filter also there is 2 stroke oil on the foam in the engine cover that is against the vro2 pump, are these issues related?

Ok, I smell what your stepping in, Butt... I noticed this prob at the end of 2016 season spent most of the off season researching forums, all pointed to filler cap, so I checked oil filler cap couldn’t determine if it was vented or not, made a conscious decision not to poke hole through, both boat and motor are year2000 why should I change it now. So I left it alone all through 2017 season delt with oil in my in-line fuel filter and very Smokey warm-ups and no issues all season 150+hours ( after warm up smoke clears to normal and no oil in filter) So heat,expansion,pressure, pushes oil back down fuel line while at rest right , Pulled boat from slip nov 4th she sat in driveway all week temps in Rhode Island never reached above 55*F ...result oil in filter,so I winterize boat, fog engine,empty fuel tank,cover, and put to bed. Four months later 3/18/18 sunny temperature outside 28*, temp on boat under dark green tarp 74* ...result NO oil in fuel filter . What am I missing, I’m about to spend $450 on a new vro2 before something catastrophic happens. Sorry for the loooong explanation.

The cap has a little valve shaped like a teepee internally and is one way. It allows air and water into tank if submerged!!

Come accross a few of these VRO engines especially Johnson but all have been converted back to pre-mix. Now why would that be??? It tells me that the oil injeccton is not what it is cracked up to be with problems as mentioned by Daz. Getting things set up on a brand new engine is one thing but as the engine ages problems start to materialise and the more complicated the system is the harder it iis to fix. ALL engines today are OVER engineered thats why British Seagul engines being so simple are the best ever invented..

Back