Logo

What is it, and how to fix?

Crunchy21

Contributing Member
Ok, last year or so I replaced the thermostat on my 2010ish Honda BF8. Sometime after I began to notice some salt deposits coming from the red circled hole. When I run the engine I can see a slow drip of water coming out, which increases with higher rpms. Ideas?Thermostat.jpg

Hi,
That is your engine's flush port. There is an attatchment that screws into the threads in that hole and your garden hose screw on the attatchment. It looks like a miniature fire hose nozzle.

Inside there is a plastic valve that is held against the hole by a small coil spring. The white deposits you see are probably holding the valve away from the hole and allowing water to get by when the engine is running.

You can remove the thermostat housing and either replace the valve or simply clean it. Cleaning usually stops the leakage....for awhile.

With the housing off, you can do a superior back flush and clean out the salt with Salt Away or white vinegar and water.

It's typical of those valves to leak and need periodic cleaning.

Good luck

Last edited:
Weird but that link took me to a Yamaha parts. I should be more clear with my question but why is a dribble of water coming out of that hole?

So what is the best way to flush the motor to keep salt from building up. Typically I run it in a large bucket for 15 minutes but that makes using saltaway or vinegar impossible or near impossible without being majorly diluted because I have to feed it fresh water continuously. I can do the muffs with saltaway, flush adapter with saltaway or stick to the bucket and fresh water.

A large plastic storage container will work i just use a metal garbage can with a small hole it just drains itself. You want to flush it after each use until the thermostat opens then disconnect the fuel line and let it run out of fuel. Then your all set for the next outing.

Back