Logo

2003 115 Merc 2+2 stroke

cyokom

I have an issue with my motor for a long time and can't solve it. My motor starts up normally when cold. The issue I have is that after it has been run and opened up a little bit, it acts like it is flooded out. It has a hard time starting and when I get it started, I will have rev the engine in neutral for a bit before I can put it in gear (otherwise it stalls out). I read somewhere about a primer solenoid. Could this be my issue? BTW, I have brought it to a mechanic and they did not resolve the problem. Probably, because it is hard to replicate without running it on the water. Any help would be much appreciated...Thanks

This motor only runs on the top 2 cylinders when idling.-----You start with posting the results of a compression test.-----And check for spark on each lead.-----Check to see if perhaps a cylinder sleeve has rotated.-----Has water pump been maintained , yes or no ?

Thanks for the reply. When I get the boat out of storage I will go through those steps. I have never had an issue with the water pump and what I really don't understand is why it starts up and idles normally when the engine is cold or hasn't driven. But once the engine has been driven (particularly fast) for a time, it has a tough time starting and idling. I would think it would be the opposite.

It may be stupid to say, but I had the same trouble and I found it was two things. The carburetors needed rebuilding, the fuel cap was not breathing properly and the lines were letting in a little air. I would check the fuel lines and tank to make sure that you do not have a leak or pin hole. Sorry if this sounds a little obvious and/or basic.

Thanks for the help. I will look into rebuilding the carbs and the fuel hoses...in your case, did the motor start and run well at first? I can't figure out why it acts differently after it's been run. One thing I should add is that once I able get the boat in gear without stalling, it runs well until I stop and try to get it going again.

when engine is warmed up, check for proper spark with an open air gap tester,electronics sometimes break down due to heat

Yes, My 50 hp had the exact same issues. Would start cold and then flood when warm. Wouldn't idle and would die when going into gear. I ended up rebuilding the carbs, replacing the fuel hose and bulb, and loosening the gas cap. Night and day difference.

Yes, My 50 hp had the exact same issues. Would start cold and then flood when warm. Wouldn't idle and would die when going into gear. I ended up rebuilding the carbs, replacing the fuel hose and bulb, and loosening the gas cap. Night and day difference.

That's awesome to know...I am going to give that a shot. Thanks so much for your input.

Back