Logo

Fuel tank removal

footbrake

Contributing Member
Has anybody had to pull the fuel tank out of a Chris Craft Catalina 251. I'd like to know a good way to do this without too much trouble

I'd like to know a good way to do this without too much trouble

Ayuh,..... Now, That is Funny,..... Never seen a boat fuel tank that's Easily removed, other than a 6 gallon portable tank,.....

The path of least destruction, maybe, but Easily just don't happen,....

I donno yer boat, got any relevant pictures,..??

IMG_1964_2.jpgIt goes across the back of the boat from the thick blue trim line to just above North Tonawanda NY. It is completely visible from the inside below the deck, under the floorwhere the engine and transmission is, if you can get an idea

2 reasons for pulling it. First I have to remove it to put on my swim platform. Need to thru bolt the brackets with starboard backing plates. Second, I need to replace the sending unit as it's not working. So I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Ayuh,..... The sequence is always the same,.....

Remove whatever is in the way, then remove the piece ya wanta work on,.....

You'll probably have to remove any deckin', 'n seatin', as well as any cover panels,....
If yer Lucky, ya might get it out, without removin' the motor, or motors,....

It seems to me you should be able to accomplish both tasks without removing the tank. Can you cut a access hole inside to see how far back the fuel tank goes. There is normally a access port on the deck for service of the fuel sending unit. Drill a spotter hole toward the top of your platform to see exactly where you need to go. The fuel tank is always the first to go in hence the last to come out! I would do some more research before opening the deck up.

Here is a pic of what I'm dealing with. As you can see it looks like I may be able to slide it out with some persuasionFuelSystem4.jpg

Back