Logo

2007 Mercury 50 hp carb sync

d.hauser

I have a 2007 Mercury 50 hp 2 stroke that I need to tune up. I have found the procedure to manually synchronize the carbs by closing the carbs and setting the linkage. I would like to test them by checking the vacuum. I cannot find vacuum ports for all 3 cylinders. Does this motor not have a way to check the vacuum? Engine serial number is: 1B503973

2 strk do not need to have that done that is more of a 4strk thing. Just follow the factory manual for the link and sync.

Last edited:
What other trouble shooting has been done ?----What is the motor doing / not doing at this time ?----Note ----Timing is fixed , carburetion jets are fixed.---The term " tune up " may not apply to this motor.

What other trouble shooting has been done ?----What is the motor doing / not doing at this time ?----Note ----Timing is fixed , carburetion jets are fixed.---The term " tune up " may not apply to this motor.

Just trying to get the best that I can out of the motor. I just installed a tach so I do not know what the top end is. I rebuilt the carbs last season because of poor idle but after adjusting for a smooth idle I lost speed. I just cleaned the carbs and changed the plugs. I want to adjust the carbs to give the best overall performance that can get out of the motor. I would like a smooth idle for trolling without loosing too much if any top end. I experimented at the end of the season with installing a size up of main jet and it ran worse so just installed the original jets which is why I cleaned the carbs while I was doing it.

With two strokes, you want the spark advance way before the carbs start opening--the opposite of 4 stroke practice. On my little boat, I run full spark advance before I begin to open the carbs, for improved gas mileage. This is a lightweight, over-powered rig, so it doesn't cause any trouble. On heavier boats, you need SOME carb opening before full spark advance, hence the need to synch the two.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Back