Logo

installing disc brakes on trailer

TheBrain

Regular Contributor
I'm installing disc brakes on the boat trailer already have the Tie Down master cylinder actuator installed and the new axel has a brake caliper mount bracket.

so I need to grind some surface rust on the leave springs then reattach. the old axle, w/ brand new brake caliptors.

the Tie Down is nice quality stuff however the actuator is zinck plated, remember this trailer is exposed to a marine environment.
1. should I prime and paint actuator?

2.the suppiled hardware is zinc maybe upgrade to at minium galvinized or better stainless steel?

I have a tandom axle, each axle only has one caliptor mounting flange. was planning to have the front axel hold the left brake and the rear axle hold the right brake.
3.is this acceptable brake placement?

Zinc will be more than fine. I would mount the brakes on the same axle, you want the braking evenly applied. I ran the same system as yours on a dual trailer with a 21 ft. Grady White for years with no issue at all.

big boat like your Grady White you must be in saltwater? if yes how did you keep brakes from corroding?

can I get away w/ one brake on the front axle?is this acceptable?

edit: I'm never in a rush when towing usalley under 65MPH even in 70zone.

thanks for advice TB

thanks

Last edited:
Is it even legal to have one brake? The hitch and slide are not designed for side to side force if you have to slam on the brakes on a wet road will it push the rear sideways from the force?

Is it even legal to have one brake? The hitch and slide are not designed for side to side force if you have to slam on the brakes on a wet road will it push the rear sideways from the force?
are you saying it's better to have no brakes than just one?
thanks

The brakes are sold in pairs. You need to have one brake on one side and the other on the opposite side same axle. When done in salt water I always washed down the calipers when flushing the engine. The disc brake system I had installed was Tie Down's stainless system.

yes I understand.

the proper method of brakes both on same axle unfortunately thats not a option please reread post1.

looks like I'm gonna wing it w/ one brake (I did purchase 2 brakes) but currently can only mount one.

thanks I guess

I think it's better to have one brake than none? remember my vessel/trailer is less than 3K LBs

my new tow vehicle has 13" front/rear disc brakes however it only weighs 4750LBs

Last edited:
having diffaculty w/ the brake actuater.

when I pump the master cylinder w/ the screw driver w/ the brake line on or off there isn't any fuild expelling from the master cylinder however some fuild will leak out the bottom after a bunch of pumps.

is there there something inside the tie down actuater that needs to be removed in order to build preasure?

I'm lucky my new tow vehical has 13" rotors front /rear.

Attachments

• tow vehicle5.jpg
    tow vehicle5.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 76
Back