Logo

Crusader 454 Oil pressure

Lake Erie

When I reduce power entering the harbor the port motors oil pressure drops and the low oil pressure light comes. When running at cruise power both motors are the same and in less than 30 seconds the oil pressure-light goes out and the pressures match’s again. Have done oil change used recommend oil in manual confirmed proper amounts. Any thoughts. Next thought when the boat goes back in is to swap the gauges side to side.

Light should come on if pressure drops below 7-10 psi. If the gauge also shows low pressure there is a problem developing. Usual suspects tend to be low oil level, defective pump, or worn bearings. Near term investigation recommended.

When I reduce power entering the harbor the port motors oil pressure drops and the low oil pressure light comes. When running at cruise power both motors are the same and in less than 30 seconds the oil pressure-light goes out and the pressures match’s again. Have done oil change used recommend oil in manual confirmed proper amounts. Any thoughts. Next thought when the boat goes back in is to swap the gauges side to side.

Sounds like either too thin oil is used (not likely since one eng is OK), OR, the port oil pump has excess clearance, OR, the oil is getting too hot due to a oil cooler issue, OR, there is a gas leak from the fuel pump into the crank.

I'd guess cover to gear clearance is too high at the oil pump.

It could be the switch is failing.....they are known to have finite lifetimes.....do what Chris suggests first.....

The GM oil pump is capable of producing 200 to 300 PSI.
The actual pressure that the bearings see is controlled by a pressure relief valve that is built into the pump itself.
Rarely do these oil pumps fail.

Ditto the suggestion of using mechanical pressure gauge to verify actual pressure readings.
Also, with twin engines, you have the ability to swap certain components for testing. If the issue follows the component.... well, there ya go!

Back