Logo

coil question

whe4

Hello everyone, i am new to this forum. I have a '96 tiara 31 open with twin crusader 454's. yesterday I was out on the water returning from a weekend at my local marina. I was running home with both engines turning 3200 rpm's when suddenly my port engine dropped about 400 rpm's then returned to 3200, dropped again and then quit entirely. I was able to get home on one engine. I tried restarting just as I entered my marina but the engine would not crank. I also did not have instrument display for the port engine. does this problem sound like it could be related to a bad coil?

Go through and clean all the connectors with elictrical cleaner and put back together with doelectric grease. Sand all grounds metal to metal. Once your sure the wiring is good then start troubleshooting components. Cranking and starting are two different things are you saying the starter is not spinning or the engine is not starting?

If you lost all you say and it won't crank over then I would say you have some other issue. Get out your meter and start tracing things out. Good luck.

Thanks for replying. When I turned my port engine ignition key to the mid-start position I did not get the typical start audible dinging. Moved it to full start position and got no sound of the starter trying to start the engine.

Thanks for replying. When I turned my port engine ignition key to the mid-start position I did not get the typical start audible dinging. Moved it to full start position and got no sound of the starter trying to start the engine.

Assuming "mid-start" is RUN, I'd suspect no +12VDC at the KEY.....that infers the main breaker on the engine is open or the main harness contacts are open/corroded.....

Ayuh,.... The ignition coil is so far down the list of possibilities, that it ain't on the list of possibilities,......

I'll suggest that you use the tried and proven P of E (process of elimination).
Begin by checking one item ONLY at a time.
Move to the next suspect item only upon the previous item proving to be OK.

When use methodically and systematically, the P of E will not let you down! :D

Using a meter or test light, determine if you are getting 12vdc to the ignition switch. If yes, probably bad ignition switch, If no, check voltage down stream to determine where the break is. Definitely NOT a coil problem.

Back