Logo

Honda BF40 bearing carrier wrench

eneusiis

Regular Contributor
I have done lots of lower unit seals but never had to on any Honda’s I have owned until now. Went to do it this weekend and found my year 1998 BF40 has a threaded washer that holds the carrier in place. I want the entire thing out to replace the o rings further back as well since I am in there. I used a little PB Blast, slight amount of heat and tried using a screwdriver and hammer but couldn’t get it to move so I stopped before I caused any damage. I cannot find this tool anywhere online and hear rumors it isn’t sold to the public and must be taken to a dealer. Is this true? If not does anyone know online where I can buy one?

I am am about to have it made for me by a shop.

The part number for the tool for that "nut" is 07LPA-ZV30100. Be sure to straighten out the locking tabs of the claw washer in front of the "nut". The nut is called a gear case end nut. It looks like boats.net carries it, but it is not cheap. There is a torque value when you put it back on. http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/honda/H-07LPA-ZV30100.html

If my memory is correct, there have been other posts in the past...some time ago, that others had an issue with that and due to the salt, that had to chisel it out. Most likely, you are going to have to replace it anyway. They then manufactured something on their own.

Once you get the nut out, then you will need a puller to get the prop shaft holder out.

Good luck!

Mike

Holy mother of jesus that is an expensive socket lol. I ordered up a new ring. I am going to have a weld and fab shop here locally take my lower unit and make me a customer tool, since this won't be the only time in my life I will end up doing this to this motor as routine maintenance.

Mike,

I think I am going to attempt to make my own tool. I have the skills and tools (welder and such) to make it if I get the supplies. Do you by chance know what the torque setting are for reinstall?

First...when you put the carrier in, make sure that you have the word "up" on the edge of the carrier positioned "up". That seems obvious, but I just wanted you to be sure that you know it is there.

Put some sealant on the threads of the nut; the word "off" should face out; and turn it by hand counterclockwise until the threads align. Then turn clockwise by hand until you can not any more. Then torque to 89 ft lb.

Check to be sure that the claw washer and the nut align. If they do not, you can torque up to 111ft lb to get them aligned. Bend one tab of the claw washer....but do not make the bend at the 2, 6, or 10 o'clock position.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Stay tuned.....I just made a tool that I will end up welding handles onto or will is a pipe wrench on first. This is a black pipe gas fitting. I won’t put to much torque on it. I have been soaking it every night with pb blast and will apply some heat prior to trying.

IMG_3087.jpgIMG_3088.JPGIMG_3089.JPG

Its crude, but it works, I put a 24" pipe wrench and with the help from my neighbor after I had to drill two holes in the spanner nut it came off.

Once the new washer arrives, I will put some antiseize on the threads and then reinstall. Thanks for the help, there is very little info on this online. Outside of Dangar Marine on Youtube and a few others its was minimal.

Thanks for all the help Hondadude. Got it all back together this morning. My homemade pipe tool worked great went back in easy. Cleaned off all the calcium build up in the threads and added some anti seize just in case for the next time I do this job.

Thanks mike for the help put I all back together this morning worked awesome added some anti seize for the next time I have to do the job

First...when you put the carrier in, make sure that you have the word "up" on the edge of the carrier positioned "up". That seems obvious, but I just wanted you to be sure that you know it is there.

Put some sealant on the threads of the nut; the word "off" should face out; and turn it by hand counterclockwise until the threads align. Then turn clockwise by hand until you can not any more. Then torque to 89 ft lb.

Check to be sure that the claw washer and the nut align. If they do not, you can torque up to 111ft lb to get them aligned. Bend one tab of the claw washer....but do not make the bend at the 2, 6, or 10 o'clock position.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike,

I got it all back together easily, but when I have it in forward gear and spin the prop I hear a loud "CLICK" like the dog clutch is not aligned or something. Listen to the video. What did I do wrong.

https://youtu.be/LnOqx52Czcs

That is normal. The key is that it locks in place when in forward...when you turn it counterclockwise.

Likewise (pun intended) It should lock in place when in reverse...when you turn it clockwise.

It may or may not ratchet in turning it the opposite ways that it locks up.

I hope that last sentence made sense.

Good going on getting it all back together.

Mike

That is normal. The key is that it locks in place when in forward...when you turn it counterclockwise.

Likewise (pun intended) It should lock in place when in reverse...when you turn it clockwise.

It may or may not ratchet in turning it the opposite ways that it locks up.

I hope that last sentence made sense.

Good going on getting it all back together.

Mike

okay feel a lot better as that is exactly what happens. Thanks for the help hopefully this post helps someone as well in the future.

Back