Logo

03 Honda 225 Sitting For Years

That black canister is simply a vacuum reservoir. It won't matter which hose goes to which fitting. One hose is a little longer than the other which should make it fit better going to the lower fitting. The only thing that matters is the hose that comes from the intake has a check valve in it and that its facing the right way and working. If that check valve is not working the IAB system won't work. Your engine makes *no vacuum while accelerating or while in the upper rpm range so there has to be stored vacuum to operate the IAB while accelerating and maintaining higher rpms.

* Your engine may make a tiny bit of vacuum during acceleration depending on the rate of acceleration and the rpm range in which acceleration is occurring.

Last edited:
You never know what some ham-handed person did with the other engine. I'd go with the diagram.

I suppose but they're Twins and he bought them new in 05 and only ran them three years. The VSTs were never touched

So that little plastic in line thing that looks like a filter is really a check valve?

Last edited:
I went to replace a split hose from the VST to the relief valve on the starboard side of the engine and the nipple on the relief valve was full of sand.

Can I just suck it out with a vacuum or should i try and remove it and clean it out. What does it do? Part # is 19295-ZY3-000

I believe that it relieves excess water pressure when the engine is running at high rpm's. Best to take it apart and clean it thoroughly - both of them. There are two.

I suppose but they're Twins and he bought them new in 05 and only ran them three years. The VSTs were never touched

So that little plastic in line thing that looks like a filter is really a check valve?

One of the two lines that connect to the black vacuum canister has a check valve in it. It is the line that is the source of vacuum. I don't remember a filter of any sorts on either of those two lines.

That sand got sucked in by your water pump. It should flush out when you flush your engines. Since you have it apart clean it. It'll probably be a more thorough cleaning than when its simply flushed. With the engines just sitting it'll probably take quite some time to soften anything that has hardened over time in that line so yeah its best to disassemble it and get it clean.

Last edited:
I'm always hesitant to remove any bolts that I don't have to for fear of snapping them.

Speaking of of which I snapped two taking the lower cowling off. One on the port side in front where the two bolts back up to each other.

The second is long and comes up on the starboard side closest to the rigging tube. No way to get a drill and tap into that one...

Ok, I cleared the relief valve easy enough. I then went to change the plugs and two of the coils separated from the piece that goes down into the head. This one could be interesting!

I trimmed the motor all the way up and tried to get some blaster to soak in. Hopefully I can get some needle nose in there and get the piece to twist and then pull it out

Back