Logo

1996 130 johnson thermostat

Bill Murphy

This is my first post here and the first time ive ever been on here so forgive me if i am asking the same question again...; But i bought the 130 johnson and it has no thermostats at all, i assume they where taken out....question is will it hurt to run this way or do i need to replace it.???..there is nothing where the thermostats came out of....

Some boaters, rather than to spend a few dollars to replace a failing water pump will remove all and anything blocking the water passageways in a mistaken belief that will cure the overheating problem. Apparently your engine is in this condition.

(Thermostat Purpose)
(J. Reeves)

Many engines are considered high performance engines and demand a thermostat(s), and many smaller hp engines also require a thermostat for the following reason. The pistons actually distort/twist off round when running. The thermostat is required to keep the outer wall surrounding the steel cylinder, and the cylinder wall itself at a temperature to compensate for the distortion.

With the thermostat removed, the difference in temperature between the inside the cylinder and the water jacket quickly reaches a point whereas (in effect) you have a oblong piston running up and down a round cylinder, or vice versa. Bottom line is without the thermostat, the piston and cylinder wall could be damaged in a short period of time.

The thermostat in your car isn't there simply to have the heater function properly..... think about it.

Some boaters, rather than to spend a few dollars to replace a failing water pump will remove all and anything blocking the water passageways in a mistaken belief that will cure the overheating problem. Apparently your engine is in this condition.

(Thermostat Purpose)
(J. Reeves)

Many engines are considered high performance engines and demand a thermostat(s), and many smaller hp engines also require a thermostat for the following reason. The pistons actually distort/twist off round when running. The thermostat is required to keep the outer wall surrounding the steel cylinder, and the cylinder wall itself at a temperature to compensate for the distortion.

With the thermostat removed, the difference in temperature between the inside the cylinder and the water jacket quickly reaches a point whereas (in effect) you have a oblong piston running up and down a round cylinder, or vice versa. Bottom line is without the thermostat, the piston and cylinder wall could be damaged in a short period of time.

The thermostat in your car isn't there simply to have the heater function properly..... think about it.

Thank you so much, I just didnt know if i should spend the money or not...but one last question.... with thermostats in place should water come out the tell tale hole immediately or after the thermostat opens....im a newby...lol

The tell tale on most motors starts showing water within seconds after start up.-------Note,-- that it indicates that the water pump is working.----The tell tale does NOT indicate that the cooling system is functioning properly !

The tell tale on most motors starts showing water within seconds after start up.-------Note,-- that it indicates that the water pump is working.----The tell tale does NOT indicate that the cooling system is functioning properly !
Thank you so much and i do understand completely... Im gonna install a water pump kit and also the thermostats...only thing is from what ive looked at on marine engines there are a lot of parts that goes with the thermostats... but Im gonna get all of those parts and do the job right...yall have been a big help and I thank you very much.....Bill

(Thermostat Purpose)
(J. Reeves)

when i look up the parts list for my year model its not just a thermostat and spring there is a list of 8 or 10 parts and i dont see any way of getting all that in there dont know whats up with that because everything has been taken out of my engine.... im just trying to figure it out...the same year model 150 just takes a thermostat and spring....i just dont know but i will thank you ahead of time for any help....

The warning horn should beep for one second when the key is turned to the ON position.

When in doubt, to test the horn (engine NOT running), have the key in the ON position. then ground out the overheat warning sensor wire that is leading out of each cylinder head. That grounds the circuit and the horn should beep steady and constantly as long as that wire is grounded.

The warning horn should beep for one second when the key is turned to the ON position.

When in doubt, to test the horn (engine NOT running), have the key in the ON position. then ground out the overheat warning sensor wire that is leading out of each cylinder head. That grounds the circuit and the horn should beep steady and constantly as long as that wire is grounded.
thank you i will do that

the water pump is working but dont have a strong stream out tale tell but its not running hot. can you tell me why the stream is not strong...ive checked all lines and found nothing stopped up.......but did find out the power pack is bad got a new one coming......i think that will fix my missing because i have 140 pounds of compression on all 4 cylinders and all the carbs cleaned out.....so the river test is coming soon lol

the water pump works great and i installed the new power pack and cleaned out the carbs and adjusted and went to the river for the first test run 58 mph and it ran smooth as a new one....thank yall for your help.....

Back