Logo

How to drain water from bell housing?

dyepro

Hi, first post here.
I am fairly experienced in diesel and marine mechanics this is my first Volvo Penta.
This engine is a TMAD30A + duo prop
Long story short bilge plug left in bilge fills with rainwater flushed fuel tank cleaned/ replaced lines changed oil no signs of water in those systems.
Starter failed, remove starter and there is bilge water( no coolant no oil) in bell housing.
Next step is to buy and install new starter but........
How does one drain or vacuum the water from the bellhousing? Can't find a drain plug.

Appreciate any advise or experiences.

Please keep to the topic rather than telling me all the horrifying things that may be wrong etc etc. I just need this water gone so I don't kill my new starter.

Thanks Guys.

Stef

Thanks so much for answering.
i agree, there should be some one of drain. I understand it being sealed under Normal operating conditions to not take in bilge water and sling it up to the starter. But ya, I need to get it out now.
My access to the bottom of mine is very limited, otherwise I was thinking of creating a threaded hole.

The thing is this must happen all the time, yet there's not much on the Internet?

Thanks again

Stef

I don't think it happens frequently....

I though some had an inspection port on the top of the housing....so that's one option. The other would be to pump a tube in thru the starter hole when you pull it....though I'll be the first to say I can't remember how much clearance is there....

The final option would be to try to back off the screws on the flywheel cover....if its limited clearance, it may be faster to pull the engine....

I can't see when a 1/4" hole would do it any harm....

Right, my plan is to pump out of the starter hole and or that louvered vent/inspection plate on top.
I'm really concerned about any little bit of water left behind that would sling up to the new starter.

Not too keen on pulling the engine if I can get around it.

The springs in the damper plate can rust and lose their mo jo as well as throw the crank/flywheel out of balance. It might not be a bad idea to pull the engine and give it a eyeball

I have an AQAD40. Pull the outdrive and have a look in the drive shaft bellow. I had the same issue. Water was getting in and coming out the vent inspection cover. It’s coming up from the seals. I had to pull the engine. Changed the seals and bearings. I also upgraded to a 290 outdrive. I haven’t had it back in the water yet but hoping to sea trial it this week. Good Luck. That’s where the problem is

Back