Logo

2007 Suzuki DF90 Mystery Troubles . . .

Two years ago I bought a Carolina Skiff 198 DLV from a friend. I had fished the boat many times and the only apparent problem was stiff helm control. Other than that the engine ran fine. After trying several DIY remedies to no avail I brought the boat to a mechanic who told me the swivel needed to be replaced which necessitated taking the entire power head off. Wasn't cheap ($1800) but I paid for the repair. Once completed the boat steered smoothly.

But - from then on the engine has been nothing but trouble. She starts right up and idles fine but once I accelerate the engine tries to run but bogs up and down until finally quitting, often accented by a loud backfire. I have been able to slowly (very slowly) advance the throttle while in neutral and gradually the engine will catch up to the fuel and I am able to run her normally for the day. Every once in a while she'll bog a bit at low or high speed but at least I can fish for the day.

Not sure why nursing her up to throttle made a difference. I suspected the engine needed to warm up before working but I don't know.

Of course the mechanic who fixed the steering denied any responsibility and said he had done nothing to cause the problem. Well - she ran fine when i brought it to him and ran horribly when I picked her up. That sort of put an end to our relationship.

I took the boat to a "certified Yamaha mechanic" who told me I needed to replace all the fuel injectors along with a new fuel pump and neutral safety switch. After $800 in parts and $500 in labor he called to say she was "running like a scolded dog". Sounded good to me but when I put her in the water she dogged just like she had done before. His response "Sorry man - it should have worked".

I have very bad luck with mechanics.

So the boat has sat for a year and a half as my wife has about had it with my boat troubles. With spring about here I thought I'd try to work out the problems myself. Today I started by replacing all the fuel, fuel lines, filter, and primer bulb from the fuel tank to the engine. No change. Since she kinda acts like she's starving for fuel I was hoping replacing everything from the tank to the engine would solve the problem for a $100 in supplies. Oh well.

If anyone has any idea as to what my be happening I would certainly appreciate the advice. Or perhaps a try this first, then try that list I could follow. I could really use some advice as to how to get an accurate diagnosis. Cash is very tight these days but my 21 year old daughter is begging me to take her fishing "a lot" this year and I don't want to miss the time with her.

Am not sure how to do it but I could probably find a way to post a video of starting the engine up on the trailer so you could see what is happening.

Most common problem with the Suzukis is the fuel pressure regulator which sits in the bottom of the vapor separator and they tend to rot out if there is a small amount of water present. I would be checking fuel pressure before going any further. Throwing parts at it hoping for the best can get expensive and cause marital issues as you have already worked out.

Back