Logo

Merc Mark 6A

RogerWI

Recently purchased 1959 Mark 6A. Has a few problems, the steering/throttle handle assembly is froze. The gears inside the cowl that move carb and magneto move freely. Also, the cable shift assembly in the lower unit is froze. Would appreciate any suggestions.

In my opinion motors like that require " restoration "---which is a teardown and complete inspection before spending coins on parts.---Not the same as adding gas and the "crank and hope it starts " approach.-----Some will argue that.

Thanks racerone, motor runs (forward only) just want to fix these other issues. And yes I agree, would rather repair than throw parts and money at it.

In my opinion motors like that require " restoration "---which is a teardown and complete inspection before spending coins on parts.---Not the same as adding gas and the "crank and hope it starts " approach.-----Some will argue that.

It could be cable adjustment or a tab broken off the wrap / clutch spring.-----And I believe it only has forward and neutral.----Never a reverse on those !

I will check cable. No reverse unless you spin 180 degrees. Any suggestion on how to free-up throttle handle, I've tried penetrating oils. I found diagram on-line and there is a roll pin connecting gear on end of handle to unassemble, but it is not visible.

That is a cable clutch for neutral you still need to rotate for reverse. Just take your time taking it apart hopefully all it needs is a little tlc. You can look up part numbers here for mark6a

Never worked on that model mostly mid to upper 60s - 70s. The gearbox looks straight forward but can be a bear one of those cordless 1/4 drive impact-driver helps not break bolts. Never use a hammer anywhere on a outboard heat, chemicals and time are your friends. If the gearbox does not separate easily hang a conder blocka couple inches off the ground on the propshaft and walk away. Weight and gravity is another usefull tool.

Thanks for the tip. Can you advise me on the correct lube for the lower unit, should I use 80/90 gear lube or a high quality grease? It's a 1959.

Can anyone confirm the gas oil ratio for my Mark 6A as 16:1 and should I use a SAE 30 or 40? Should I use the two stroke marine oils?

They used to use 30HD all oil now days is non detergent use any two stroke oil that is for outboard motors as long as it does not say pennzoil.

Im seeing 20:1 for the 4 and 6 cylinder of that era i would think 24:1 would be safe thats one quart for six gallons fuel premium outboard oil.

Back