Logo

Help ID model of my Johnson engine. Not so simple.

Perhaps you can help me with an awkwardpredicament. Two years ago I bought a used 1985 Johnson 50 hpoutboard motor on Craigs list. 'Paid $700, which I thought was abargain. It works great. Immediately after purchase, I wanted to buyparts to maintain it. But I found both locations for serial numbershad been defaced! Evidently it was a stolen motor. I called the localsheriff, who came to inspect and investigate. After failing to findany additional information during subsequent months, the sheriff'closed the case' and wrote a letter establishing that the motor wasnow legitimately mine. That was re-assuring.

Now, as I try to order parts, thediagrams for a 1985 Johnson 50 hp motor don't match my motor. Forexample, the fuel pump and filter look like those in diagrams of the1985 55hp, but not the 50hp. The cowling was been re-painted. Whatremains legible of the serial number doesn't clearly establish thesize. I don't think it's a 50 hp motor.

I am trying to find someone who is sofamiliar with these motors that they might be able to identify thesize by looking at photos. Attached are photos of the Sheriff'sletter, the defaced ID plates, and photos of the engine. [Limited to 6 photos, I omitted many more, which I can provide if it will be helpful to anyone.] Can you helpme identify the motor? Do you know anyone who can? The motor wasevidently tuned well before I bought it; it still runs fine. I havechanged the impeller, which seemed to fit OK.

Thanks very much for any advice. Ireally appreciate it.

Attachments

• 5. destroyed ID on block (1).jpg
    5. destroyed ID on block (1).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 6. Front 2.jpg
    6. Front 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 8. starboard side forward.jpg
    8. starboard side forward.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 9. port side.jpg
    9. port side.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 14. top view.jpg
    14. top view.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 7. Front.jpg
    7. Front.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 49
Well, the 40 / 48 / 50 / 55 / 60 all look the same since you are not aware of that.----But find the high speed carburetor jet and post the number off it.

Last edited:
The last digits of the model number are still readable CDB. CD makes it a 1986. The B is a bit more challenging. The only 1986's listed here at marineengine with a B suffix are rope start motors, which yours obviously is not. But narrowing it down to 1986 ought to at least help.

Gator..... I thought the same thing about the year.... really looks like "CD"... however in looking closer (enlarging) it appears (to me) that the left side of what I thought was a "D" curves upward on the bottom left and downward on the top left which would make it a "O" (5). I could be wrong but double check it if you will.

I bought if from a fellow who claimed he was selling it for his brother, who lived in TN. I called the man I bought it from, leaving a phone message asking him to call me back. He never called, any my subsequent calls were not accepted by his phone. I drove to his house, and a neighbor said that he had returned north for the season. So I aborted my attempts to contact him further. The sheriff did not reach him either.

Dear JoeReeves and fdrgator, thanks very much for your efforts. Perhaps the motor was actually represented correctly to me, as 1985 50 hp. Maybe the carb number will corroborate that. Perhaps the diagrams I'm seeing on the parts lists on this site are not completely accurate. I hope to find the carb info tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone for your replies.

The motor can't be a 55HP. The only two 55HP models for 1985 that show up are E55RWLCOS and J55RWLCOS. Those do not match the visible letters on your plug.

As best as I can tell, the last letters on your plug are ELCOB. The two models that closest batch that are J50BELCOB and J50TELCOB. The parts diagram on this site are very accurate. If you put in the correct model# you'll get a list of the OEM parts listed for that exact motor.

My guess is the reason the fuel pumps don't match is because a previous owner removed the VRO pump. This is extremely common on 80's vintage (and later years) OMC outboards. The original VRO design ('84 I think) had some issues that resulted in blown engines. The knee-jerk reaction was to revert back to good 'ol premix and not rely on technology. Some people simply plugged the oil inlet hose of the VRO and just used the fuel side only. Others completely replaced the pump with a single diaphragm pulse pump used on older pre-mix designed engines. That is exactly what I think you have on your engine.

When you buy a used engine (or anything) you can't assume the previous owner(s) kept it original. So, when it comes to repair and/or replacement parts you have to look at everything carefully. When I'm shopping for a used motor, car, etc. if the seller starts listing parts and modifications I usually look the other way. you can't always trust that the person knew what they were doing.

KJ

The motor can't be a 55HP. The only two 55HP models for 1985 that show up are E55RWLCOS and J55RWLCOS. Those do not match the visible letters on your plug.

As best as I can tell, the last letters on your plug are ELCOB. The two models that closest batch that are J50BELCOB and J50TELCOB. The parts diagram on this site are very accurate. If you put in the correct model# you'll get a list of the OEM parts listed for that exact motor.

KevinJ, Thanks very much for your input. I have presumed that this is a J50TELCOB. I'll still try to identify the code on the hi-speed jet, hoping that will help confirm the ID. Viewing my carburetor in hand, and the parts diagram, I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know how to locate the high speed jet (I realize it's obvious to most of you). Here is the link to the diagram: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1985/J50BELCOB/CARBURETOR/parts.html

'Can't seem to attach photos of my carb now, so I'll try to send another message with them.

Here are some photos of my carb.

Attachments

• IMG_20180223_123749424_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180223_123749424_HDR.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20180223_123829640.jpg
    IMG_20180223_123829640.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20180223_123852862.jpg
    IMG_20180223_123852862.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 31
No, 'sorry, that "40" is from the idle jet. You're obviously dealing with a rooky here. I have to figure out how to remove the main jet to see it, now that I removed the screw that covers it.

The brass HS jet is located horizontally in thre bottom center portion of the float chamber... way behind the drain screw.

It screws in/out by 1/4x20 threads via a slot in the face of the jet.

You can make a special tool from a screwdriver whose shank just fits through the drain screw threads buy cutting the driver business end off and reshaping it carefully so that it resembles the tool pictured below.
317002a_CARB-JET_REM-INST.jpg

Dear JoeReeves. Thanks very much for explaining how to make the tool, and attaching the photo. I made the tool. But I didn't remove the jet. In view of subsequent posts, identifying the carburetor is for a 40hp motor, while other features suggest this is a 50 hp motor, I now suspect that it is probably a50 wthvrousmoiicons to components. So I will d my best to order parts, and hope they fit. For example, the fuel filter on my motor is not the one in the parts diagram. Rather, it look like the one in 60 hp diagram. So I'll order that one. Fortunately, the water pump impeller for the 50 hp seemed to fit when I replaced that. Thanks again.

Dear kiimcrwbr1: thanks for the information. I'm not sure if my motor is 40 hp or 50 hp or otherwise. I suspect it is 50 hp (1985) with carbs for the 40 hp motor. When ordering parts hereafter, I will try hard to confirm that the diagram looks like the part I'm replacing. Thanks again.

Back