Logo

Indmar assault 325 - takes 3 seconds to 9 seconds of cranking to start, runs perfect otherwise

makesumwake

2008 Inmar Assault 325
371hrs
ran fine all summer, sat for a couple months. started taking more cranking time to start, anywhere from 3 seconds, to up to 10 seconds before starting

i pulled a plug and watched the spark. the ECM GIVES NO SPARK WHILE ENGINE IS CRANKING....until the moment the engine starts. the moment i see the plug spark, the engine starts and runs fine.
once running, it runs normal, doesn't die, idles smooth, normal power, etc.
usually right before starting, a beep sound comes from the dash then stops, and then the engine light turns on for a second, then the light turns back off

sometimes it wont start at all, unless i feed it water into the water intake port. if i have it in water or feed it water it start normally fairly quickly (3 to 6 seconds). if i dont have it in water, sometimes it will start right away and sometimes it wont start at all.
i thought for a while there was a water sensor to protect the engine, but it used to start out of water fine.

battery is brand new and kept on a battery tender, cranks over very strong
battery terminal connections and clean and tight
all plugs and wires look good
i took the cap off the distributor and cleaned all connections, it didnt look bad in the first place though.

seems like some sort of sensor or ECM issue. i dont know how to pull codes on this boat

thanks
-Phil

usually right before starting, a beep sound comes from the dash then stops, and then the engine light turns on for a second, then the light turns back off

Ayuh,..... Could be as simple as the keyswitch is bad, passin' power to the starter, 'n not the ignition,.....
especially if it normally beeps when ya turn the key "On",...

Is there Power at the coil's tiny (+) terminal, when the key is turned to "On",..??

if the relays are all original, they are likely due for replacement....seems that you've isolated to cause to lack of spark....now to isolate the bad connection(s)....a scan tool or the RINDA software and cable is the best way to 'read' what the ECU sees....

Back