Logo

Leaking steering pin AFTER change to stainless stell

olleman

Hi all!

Had my mechanic change my steering pin alongside with washers etc last spring on my bravo3 shield. The boat is a Bayliner 2855/285 -2000. The change was made with the engine lifted and not the "mercruiser service manual way".

After a couple of runs I started noticing that some water still comes through and drips into my bilge. As soon as I turn the engine off, the dripping stops. (this was not the case before I changed the steering pin, it leaked constantly). Since the boating season is like 3-4 months in Sweden I decided to run like this until the season ended in october. All in all perhaps 5-10 litres have dripped in during the course of the whole season. And never has it been wet if the boat has just been sitting for a day or a week.

Can anyone see what my mechanic have done wrong here? He suggests that we fit a zerk as were fitted on earlier models of bravo3 to stop the leakage with lubrication but it doesn't sound right to me!? He has changed numerous steering pins before according to himself.

I should add that after the steering pin was replaced I had an accident when putting the boat into the water. The boat actually slipped of the trailer in just 20cm of water which made the drive take the hit as it slowly started to float when the water started to get deeper. The drive was changed to a new one and the shield was inspected and no cracks etc were found.

,Olle from Sweden

As soon as I turn the engine off, the dripping stops.

Ayuh,..... This, ^^ says ya got a Different problem, not so much an installation problem,....

If it only leaks with the motor runnin',.....
Start the motor, 'n keep Lookin', til ya find the new leak,....

Ayuh,..... This, ^^ says ya got a Different problem, not so much an installation problem,....

If it only leaks with the motor runnin',.....
Start the motor, 'n keep Lookin', til ya find the new leak,....

I'm positive it's coming from the steering pin. I've put some paper at the steering lever and it's all moist after a run but will remain dry if I put it there while the boat isn't moving. I can't see the actual dripping, perhaps that was misleading. I'm thinking vibrations from the engine along with the constant moving of the drive causes this somehow. Just starting the engine at idle won't make it leak.

Back