Logo

2000 Evinrude 50 HP 4 stroke engine compression range

sledman1

Looking at a 2000 50 HP Evinrude 4 stroke, fuel injected engine. Does anyone know what the compression should be for this motor? No history on this engine so I am trying to determine hours on this engine from the compression readings. All cylinders are reading within 2 PSI. I need to verify my gauge is giving accurate readings but I was measuring 130 PSI. I guess this is a Suzuki motor. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Don

61936469_614.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at a 2000 50 HP Evinrude 4 stroke, fuel injected engine. Does anyone know what the compression should be for this motor? No history on this engine so I am trying to determine hours on this engine from the compression readings. All cylinders are reading within 2 PSI. I need to verify my gauge is giving accurate readings but I was measuring 130 PSI. I guess this is a Suzuki motor. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Don

130 on all with a +/- 2 differential sounds pretty healthy to me!
Readings consistency between cylinders (meaning as close as possible to same readings on all) reveals more about the health of a motor than the number itself.

Ehhh, not so fast. This is a 4 stroke and is not to be compared to what you would find in a two stroke.

I cannot answer with the exact number for your 50hp, but I can answer for the 70 hp.

A 70 hp 4 stroke engine minimum compression number is 190, and a "good" compression number is above 200...maybe in the 210s.

So you see it is different. I would think 130 is a bit low, but as I said, I don't know the exact numbers.

Ehhh, not so fast. This is a 4 stroke and is not to be compared to what you would find in a two stroke.

I cannot answer with the exact number for your 50hp, but I can answer for the 70 hp.

A 70 hp 4 stroke engine minimum compression number is 190, and a "good" compression number is above 200...maybe in the 210s.

So you see it is different. I would think 130 is a bit low, but as I said, I don't know the exact numbers.

Thanks for the info. Is your 70 HP of the same series (vintage and fuel injected)? I tried searching the web for the answer but was having no luck. I thought a 4 stroke engine would be higher. How do you like that outboard? Any issues I should know about? Thanks again.

Any thoughts as to what this motor is worth in good running condition?

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I work on these Suzukis.....most all of them are the DF70. I have not worked on a DF50.

And yes of course, they are 4 stroke and FI. I wouldn't have answered like I did if otherwise.

The DF70 engine is a modified Suzuki auto engine. Found in Samurais, etc. I don't think Suzuki made a 50hp auto engine, so the 50 might be different
regarding the compression numbers.

Get a Suzuki OEM repair manual. It will have the numbers you want. Not available here, but you can get it at Brownspoint dot com.

Well, I took a quick look thru my FACTORY manual for that 50 hp EVIZUKI and the actual compression numbers are not listed.---At least I could not find them.

Suzuki 99500-87J08-01E

Found the service manual online. Compress should be 185 to 228 psi.

Thanks for the help. Heading over to do a compression test on the motor in the next couple of days. First I want to verify my gauge is reading accurately by checking it against another pressure gauge.

On a 4 stroke the throttle should be open for a compression test.----On a 2 stroke the throttle position does not matter.

Hey OP....when you do your compression test, do it both ways. Throttle open, and throttle closed. I would be interested if you find a difference.

I have never done this myself.....

Hey OP....when you do your compression test, do it both ways. Throttle open, and throttle closed. I would be interested if you find a difference.

I have never done this myself.....

I will do that. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes.

Back