Logo

50hp water pump question

T00lmanii

I bought a pump kit, which has a few O'rings that my present pump doesn't appear to use. The kit I bought is OEM Johnson/Evinrude. The Orings in question are 2 that are approx an inch or so in diameter. I day approx because I am not at my garage to measure them. There is also 1 that is maybe 1 3/4-2" diameter. Were these for an application other than my 1989 Johnson, or am I missing where they are supposed to go? Thanks for any insight.

They say that some kits are made for multiple engines. I was reading another post on here and the person was saying the same thing and that is what they told him.

My concern was that one of the o'rings that is approx one inch may supposed to be placed on the bottom side of the impeller. The new impeller is slightly different from the old one in that it has a counterbore on the bottom side...old one did not. An oring will fit that c-bore.....just did not know if it was supposed to go there. That oring was in the sealed bag that held the impeller. My thought was that if I put the oring in that c-bore it would push the impeller key out of position when installing the impeller on the shaft/key.

Last edited:
The o-ring fits in the groove. Place it on shaft,then key and slide on impeller. All the new OEM impellers are like this and some aftermarkets are following the pattern.

Well crud! I'll have to pull it apart. What's that saying about "if you don't have time to do it once, you sure don't have time to do it a second time"
I can't sit here and say that I noticed a groove in the shaft though. Oh well....second time will go faster.

Back