Logo

2017 Evinrude 3.5

jakyol

Hi all

I just bought a Evinrude 3.5 for my bass raider, and wanted to talk to some folks that were experienced with outboard engines on proper care. My main question is whether or not I should use the fuel cutoff switch every time i turn it off to minimize gas in the carburetor? (I will only use it on weekends). I have heard mixed opinions on whether or not that is good for your engine. My other concern is trailering it. I have come to understand that laying the outboard on its side is really bad for it, but are the metal clamps that come on it generally strong enough to hold it on safely, and if so how hard will it be on my transom?

https://imgur.com/j1JyPXn

Thanks!

It is a good idea to run fuel out of the carburetor on a small 4 stroke motor.----It keeps carburetor clean and does no damage.-----Laying a 4 stroke on it's side would be covered in your manual----Mostly has to do with making sure oil does not leak out !----If you are worried about the transom holding the motor on the trailer , you need a new boat !

It is a good idea to run fuel out of the carburetor on a small 4 stroke motor.----It keeps carburetor clean and does no damage.-----Laying a 4 stroke on it's side would be covered in your manual----Mostly has to do with making sure oil does not leak out !----If you are worried about the transom holding the motor on the trailer , you need a new boat !

I'm more worried about the wear on my transom given that I can't really use a transom saver in my current configuration. I can however transport it with the motor vertically and have plenty of ground clearance.

Back