Logo

1996 48spl flywheel noise

indakeys

I have a 1996 Evinrude 48spl which is on a boat I just purchased. Yesterday, I noticed at high rpm, there is an intermittent (every 3 or 4 seconds) dinging noise which sounds like it must be from something hitting the flywheel. I can't think of anything thing else that would make a bell ringing noise. A visual inspection didn't reveal anything obvious with the flywheel on. The noise only pops up once the rpms are enough to get on plane. Silent at idle or low speeds underway. And, it is not directly rpm related. In other words, slowing or increasing speed slightly does not change the frequency. The noise is also not at a constant rate. Like something is bouncing around, maybe. Seems like removing the flywheel is the next obvious step. But I am hoping someone here might have a thought on what I should look for. Also, doesn't seem to be any affect, at all, on performance.
Thanks, in advance, for any help!

Just to cover the bases:
130 psi in both cylinders
No noticeable play in bearings either at flywheel or pistons
quiet, normal starter engagement
Lower unit is very quiet and shifts smooth on the trailer with the hose and underway
Motor starts, idles, and runs smooth and with good power.

Sounds like the starter pinion might be rising up and hitting the flywheel.-----But I am not there to inspect that.-----Also drain gear oil to look at the magnet.----Those lower units do not have a good reputation for being rugged.----Have 2 in the workshop for repair now.---Big dealers referred folks to me as their rates make it big $$ to customers !!

Sounds like the starter pinion might be rising up and hitting the flywheel.-----But I am not there to inspect that.-----Also drain gear oil to look at the magnet.----Those lower units do not have a good reputation for being rugged.----Have 2 in the workshop for repair now.---Big dealers referred folks to me as their rates make it big $$ to customers !!
Thanks, very much for the reply. The starter is an easy check. And good advice on the lower unit. I did a drain check when I bought it. Almost looked too clean. So I’m hoping not to discover something after a couple hours run time. Appreciate the help!!!

Back