Logo

AQ275 Steering Assembly Bushings

djhinca

I recently pulled the upper gear case on my AQ275 drive to service u-joints, PDS, etc (AQ131 VP engine). I've noticed a slight "wobble" in the steering assembly and with the upper gear case removed, now would be a good time to replace the seal and bushings on the steering shaft,, or so I thought. When I checked on the availability of the seal and bushings, I learned that the seal ring (839195) and upper bushing (853864, now replaced with 872363) are available, but the lower bushing (853863, and probably the one that I need the most...) is no longer available.

So, the question to those knowledgeable ones here that are familiar with this unit: are the upper and lower bushings similar enough that the available 872363 upper bushing can also be used in place of the original 853863? Thanks for any insights.

I recently pulled the upper gear case on my AQ275 drive to service u-joints, PDS, etc (AQ131 VP engine).
FYI.... the bearing crosses can be Spicer 5-1306X, and the single PDS bearing can be an industry standard 6206.... NO Chinese bearings!!!!!!!

I've noticed a slight "wobble" in the steering assembly and with the upper gear case removed, now would be a good time to replace the seal and bushings on the steering shaft,,
Yes...... that would be the collar steering fork shaft bushings.
Make sure that you get the bushings (and the V-ring seal) for the larger diameter 280, 285, 275, 275A, 290, 290A, etc, collar steering fork...... NOT for the smaller 270 or 250!

Also note that the new bushings may include an indexing bump (see image). If your transom shield is not equipped with the notches for these bumps...... simply file them away.
Also, the OEM epoxied these bushings into their respective bores.......... you may want to follow suit.

Also.... prior to re-installing the collar steering fork..... plug off one grease passage and pump grease in as to clear it ..... do same to second port.

or so I thought. When I checked on the availability of the seal and bushings, I learned that the seal ring (839195) and upper bushing (853864, now replaced with 872363) are available, but the lower bushing (853863, and probably the one that I need the most...) is no longer available.
They are available! Keep searching!

So, the question to those knowledgeable ones here that are familiar with this unit: are the upper and lower bushings similar enough that the available 872363 upper bushing can also be used in place of the original 853863?
These two bushings are NOT interchangeable.

Other notes:

The spindle arm incorporates the Port/Stbd steering stops..... not the collar steering fork.
If a person was to re-install the spindle arm onto the collar steering fork while being one spline OFF, it will cause un-equal Port/Stbd stern drive articulation.

While Volvo Penta will NOT suggest this....... their spindle arm "pinch" slot is too short. Often the pinch bolt will not clamp/squeeze the splines onto the fork with enough force.
The cure is to increase the length of the pinch slot some, giving the grade #8 pinch bolt a much better advantage during the clamping/squeezing process.

(see images below)

Attachments

• collar steering fork bushing.jpg
    collar steering fork bushing.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Spindle Arm pinch slot length increase.jpg
    Spindle Arm pinch slot length increase.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Spindle Arm pinch slot length increase 2.jpg
    Spindle Arm pinch slot length increase 2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Spindle Arm pinch slot length increase 3.jpg
    Spindle Arm pinch slot length increase 3.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Thanks to kimcrwbr1 and Ricardo, it looks like I'm off to the races on the collar steering fork removal. I was indeed able to order both bushings from volvopentastore, I'm planning to lengthen the slot in the spindle arm as Ricardo suggested.

Back