Logo

2000 evinrude 70hp 4stroke impeller?!??

Wyattp

My 2000 evinrude runs good at idle and will run in gear but after a few minutes of running in gear at 3000 rpm the pisser starts to slow down and gets hot as does the at it starts to over heat. If i cut back to nutral and let it idle the temp come down pisser builds pressure and it idles fine. Is this sign of my impeller going out? Or maybe something els? The outboard is new to me and have only ran it with muff in the yard. And opinions are much appreciated..

Locate the thermostat cover at the top of the head, near the timing belt/camshaft pulley.
Then look around the right side of the block, and you will see a smaller cover that suspiciously looks like a thermostat cover.

Under that small one, there is a pop off valve. It is a source of trouble in that it sticks open.

I would replace both the thermostat (142 degree option) and that pop off valve. See if the problem continues.

Ok cool thanks for your info i already had planned on change both the tstat and valve off i will get back if issues continute after i get the parts

Back