Logo

Fuel leak when not running, other recommendations for new year

pgshields

Some of you guys have been on this journey which feels like forever now. A few years ago I bought a pontoon with a Honda BF50A pre-1997 on it. Two years ago I had to have the carbs rebuilt and 4 trips to the shop and back we finally figured that out.

So this year I am redoing the water pump because it's not peeing and replacing the thermostat that hasn't been replaced since I have had it. I also am doing the lower unit gear lube change and oil change.

Since I have had the motor there has always been a leak that I have kind of ignored. Every time I come to the boat or run it the water around the boat changed colors. It looks to me like there is a small fuel leak somewhere coming from the inside the cover and going into the water. I hadn't run the motor in a couple of weeks and drained the carbs to winterize it and went to check on the boat today and there was the colorful glaze over the water. Do you guys have any tips on where to look?

Any other tips on what should be changed out? I have to pump the bulb every time I get in the boat, and idle really high to get it going. I was thinking of throwing a new fuel pump in there? Is that worth it? Thanks! Also just ordered the shop manual.

When I see a fuel sheen on the water, alarms in my head go off big time. That is something you definitely do not want to ignore. Finding those leaks on any engine can be a serious snipe hunt, but it must be done. I typically take a roll of paper towels and follow the fuel line every place it goes looking for drops of fuel. The first thing I would check is the carb fuel drains to make sure they are closing off completely. Also, give the area around the fuel filter a real close look. Keep in mind, that an engine that old, there could be a pin hole in the fuel line. Many years ago I bought a boat with an old Johnson SeaPro which was leaking fuel. I ended up changing every fuel line and fuel line clamp on that engine, which cured the problem. It's cheap insurance.

If you are having to pump the bulb a lot, what chawk said about replacing all the fuel lines, etc. sounds like the cure.

NSON brings up another point. I assume that engine is set up with a quick disconnect where the fuel line from the tank connects to the engine. Those things do wear out, fail to seal completely and leak. Take a close look there.

NSON brings up another point. I assume that engine is set up with a quick disconnect where the fuel line from the tank connects to the engine. Those things do wear out, fail to seal completely and leak. Take a close look there.

Pulling it out of the water friday and going to pull lower unit off and check every line. Thank you guys for the help. Will be reporting back

Hey guys, pulled the boat out of the water today and replaced the thermostat, old one was pretty nasty. I noticed this awhile ago and decided to look in my shop manual about this. There are two holes in the ring of the motor for "drain tubes" These drain tubes are orange. I only have one, am I missing one of them? Also what are the ends suppose to be coming from?

I have one last question, I noticed at the end of the carbs, there are little nipples. Is there suppose to be a tube going to these nipples? Thanks!

Back