Logo

No water to motor

jwwjr

Hello, I am new to board so if I do something wrong please let me know. Have a 1998 115 hp fast strike motor. I start motor on muffs regularly. A few weeks ago we had temperatures in the teens for a couple of days. Started motor a week ago and no water would come out of pee hole and motor seemed to overheat. Replaced water pump and still no water. If you take out thermostat should water come out of hole if you crank motor?

Hello, I am new to board so if I do something wrong please let me know. Have a 1998 115 hp fast strike motor. I start motor on muffs regularly. A few weeks ago we had temperatures in the teens for a couple of days. Started motor a week ago and no water would come out of pee hole and motor seemed to overheat. Replaced water pump and still no water. If you take out thermostat should water come out of hole if you crank motor?
Yes you should see water coming out of there (just went through the exercise on my motor)....

If no water comes out, you have a blockage, and can start taking things apart, starting with the foot.
If you're lucky you might be able to cLear the obstruction by wiggling some wire in the water tube and spraying water from the stat housing and see it makes its way down the water tube..... most likely the grommet is clogged on top of the tube and if it's the same as on the smaller motors I know of, you have to remove the power head to replace it.

(And if you're even luckier, and water comes out of the stat housing, it's just an obstruction in the pee hole line, which can usually be cleared with a wire)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Ummm "temperatures in the teens"... could it be you have ice in the water tube and / or water pump?. If there was ice in the water pump when you started the motor, one or more of the impeller blades may have sheared off, in which case, the blade(s) may be clogging the water tube.

Ummm "temperatures in the teens"... could it be you have ice in the water tube and / or water pump?. If there was ice in the water pump when you started the motor, one or more of the impeller blades may have sheared off, in which case, the blade(s) may be clogging the water tube.

When i replaced water pump it did not look as if anything was broken off. The temperature was in the 70s.(Louisiana). I took lower unit back off and ran water hose into both stat housings.Water ran out of pee hole and down water tube, also seemed to come from inside of middle of motor housing. Then ran hose up water tube and water came out pee hole and out of middle of motor housing . Did not come out of stat housing holes. Is there something in between bottom of power head and top of middle section of motor that could have busted? Motor was on back of boat hanging down in an open shed.

Pretty sure. I try to start my motor every other week. I always use muffs due to not being near water. It has always worked until after the freeze for 3 days. I changed the water pump and it still will not pump water out of pee hole and seems to get hot. I don't run it long in case there is a problem. I have blown water hose up water tube and from thermostat housing down water tube and pee hole runs water. It seems like water is coming out of hole that you run drive shaft into. Not sure if this is supposed to happen.

These motors are well built in my opinion.---No need to start it every other week.----Unless you like to hear that roar I guess.

I have to admit that i own 4 boats, and seems like i am always trying to keep them in working order. This motor is on a 20 ft. duracraft explorer boat. I have gotten these boats different ways and can't seem to let them go. I have yamahas on 2 smaller boats, one a 90 hp 2 stroke and one a 90 hp 4 stroke. This is the one i like to fish out of and way too heavy to paddle. Just trying to keep them going. I am going to put lower unit back on and see if it will work in a garbage can of water. Thanks for advice.

Finally got back to motor and changed all the water pump parts again. Started motor and it was peeing at lower pressure and water and motor got hot. You all were right , I have a restriction. I pulled the cylinder head and thermostat and am going to replace them. Am I right in seeing that head gasket is just 4 o rings? Thanks for any information.

Just wanted to get back to all of you and let you know that motor seems to be fixed. I changed the 4 cylinder o rings and replaced both thermostats and that seemed to d the trick. I think t thermostats were the problem.

Thanks for the input.

Back