Logo

Honda shaft lengths???

Syd

I am trying to figure out the spacer and the shaft lengths on a Honda outboard. My question is if Honda made an extension "spacer block" to convert one of their 20" shafts to a 25" shaft, and visa versa of course, then why on earth do you have go inside and change out the pick up, the shifter, and all of that? I mean, It would only seem to make sense, to me anyway, that as a Honda engineer, that if the 5" spacer block is removed/or added, that the foot should be interchangeable? Two different feet, I know, because of the shaft lengths, tube and all, but same everything above where the space is attached or not attached?

My 25 inch 130 has a spacer block that adds the 5 inches. But everything that passes through there has to be made 5 inches longer or shorter. A conversion kit may be available aftermarket, at least it was for an Evinrude I had.

My 25 inch 130 has a spacer block that adds the 5 inches. But everything that passes through there has to be made 5 inches longer or shorter. A conversion kit may be available aftermarket, at least it was for an Evinrude I had.

Thanks NSDON! I guess it's just me, but I would have thought that every motor would be the same regardless of short or long shaft? That the hook ups would be at the same points in the lower housing? That the extensions and the longer tube, etc... that are required on the 25" shaft would be removable and a part of the 25" foot itself? That after removing the spacer, you 'should' be able to bolt a foot for a short shaft on without requiring all of the internal modifications?

Eh well, I am not really an outboard, or any other kind of a mechanic, much less an engineer, but doing it the way I'm talking about would only make any Honda/etc, or ANY outboard engine, more versatile and adaptable to different applications. Looks like that clunky spacer that they put on there was an afterthought anyway, so I can't understand why they modified anything else but whatever bolts below it? ...???

Eh well, I guess that completely shoots down my plans for using a perfectly good foot off of an older 20" Honda engine, and putting it on a perfectly good older Honda engine that has a 5" "spacer" on it. *%$#!!!

Last edited:
Back