Logo

1973 Johnson 65hp on a 1981 Vanguard Banshee?

Buckey

I recently purchased a couple of motors and an early 80s Vanguard Banshee boat that I'll be working on over the next while and was looking for some advice/perspective.

The Banshee is in nice shape with the transom looking strong with no visible rot on the upper/under sides. The fellow had a 135 Johnson on the boat for years and sold me the boat as he had hit a rock and killed the bottom end. I bought the boat and trailer only. The one thing I did notice is that on the underside of the boat, right below the transom, it appears that the weight of the larger 135 may have caused a bit of flex resulting in a touch of 'Hooking' (I think that's the term I've heard used). I would have to say it might be flexed down maybe 1/4" at most. Was the boat designed with a bit of this, or would it be from years of excessive weight pressing down? How much of a problem would this be? I would think it would create some drag? Is this a common problem with this boat?

I also picked up a 1973 Johnson 65 and a 1974 Johnson 85. The 65 has 130lbs on all three cylinders with a new power pak, and the 85 has 120 on all 4. I know the 65 is a good motor so I wanted to install that on the boat and keep the 85 for a spare. I like the 65 because it is lighter/smaller. Next question, with the factory prop (I think 17 pitch), and assuming the 65 is strong, what kind of top end would we see with the 65 on this boat? Has anyone tried this combination?

Thanks in advance for you response.

Last edited:
Back