Logo

1972 65 hp evinrude triumph. Help .

Seeker of truth

Contributing Member
Need help with gears. Want go to out of gear even while running or turning over. Wiring looks good but will check closer as I continue working on it.Changing water impeller and gaskets with kit soon as I find out best place to buy.Have foot off now and impeller was shot nothing but ground up rubber. It runs now and cranking up quicker than it did at first. Hope I put this in the right place if not feel free to move it Mods and thanks in advance. IMG_20171125_102947.jpg

racerone, here is my thread.:) You said ; step one full type c/ premium blend oil,step two negative from battery to casing,step three 12 volts to blue wire and turn drive shaft one turn to two turns and should get neutral step four 12 volts to green and blue wires turn and should get reverse and use vise grips , Right racerone?

Last edited:
Not racerone, but yes if it passes those tests, the lower unit is doing what it is supposed to do. It might help you if you know how that thing works. It is not "electric shift". It actually shifts hydraulically. An oil pump in the lower unit provides the hydraulic oil pressure. That's why it has to be running, or at least rotating in order to shift. It defaults to forward gear if not running, or in case of other failure.

The "electric" part merely energizes a pair of solenoids that close a couple of oil flow control valves, causing the shift to happen. Green wire closes one valve, putting it in neutral. Green and blue at the same time closes both valves, putting it in reverse.

EDIT: In your step-by-step above, you have an error. GREEN (not blue) is neutral, Green and blue together is reverse.

Last edited:
My instructions said 12 volts to green for neutral.----Poster misread / typo errored the step by step guide I guess.

Thanks again, and yes my bad on putting wrong color wire up green gets neutral. I will try this tomorrow and post results of my findings. I really appreciate the help from all of you.

Morning all , going out to try racerone's advice to me.Anyone know a good place to order a water pump kit for this 1972 65 evinrude?I just would like to get the right one the first time and from a legit place. Thanks.

Thanks racerone, I just did what you said on the foot and it worked just like you said hot to green and neg to foot housing two turns went to neutral, then blue and green to hot went to reverse just like you said.After you take it off goes back to forward. Is there anyway to keep it in neutral without keeping it connectected?When it is connected blue and green to engine wires running it didn't go to neutral but maybe I didn't turn the foot enough.I didn't know about turning it till it changed then till we talked though so I will have to try again to see to make sure that the buttons are working right.

Last edited:
I thought it was already explained to you.---Not running it will be in forward.--The shifting is done with OIL PRESSURE.----That pressure comes from a pump in the front of the lower unit when it is turning.----No oil pressure and the spring puts the clutch dog in forward.----You can push the buttons all day long .--A static motor will always be in forward gear.

Oh you right frdgator did explain it sorry and thanks fdrgator for doing that too. I haven't worked on as many boat motors as vehicle's so it's a little new to me.Years ago my friend and I were shrimping and took a johnson and evinrude and made one good engine but that's about it for boat motors except some working on two other boats I owned when younger a 18 ft Larson with 75 evinrude and 1973 seabird with twin 120 inboards and man sunk lots of money in seabird and never did get it right. Anyway thanks again and back to work.

Well finally found water pump kit and will come in 3 to 5 days. Man; no one seemed to have one that age and spent over 5 days hunting online with no luck. Now just waiting on new parts. I am glad they had whole kit with housing too. Ordered a exhaust gasket too because it looked burnt. Things are looking up for this boat after all. I put a new paint job and Super Slick Steelflex 2000 on bottom up to water line. It's coming along slowly had it over 10 years now. :)

'Morning everyone'. Still waiting on parts and I ordered the gear box gasket off Marine engine here and three plugs too so that should almost be most I need. I was checking on fuel lines here too since there old and seen on this sight where someone said they sell gas line by the foot here. Not sure what size they are but there small lines though. This really is a good site and very informative on marine engines and I'm glad I found it and very thankful for the help I've received from the good people here.:)

Take the fuel pump apart and inspect the diaphram if it is stiff put in a kit along with the fuel lines. Then your all set if you need to rebuild the carb. Too many guys rebuild the carb only to get gunked up from a old fuel system.

Hey there fdrgator , I searched this site for it and it didn't show a kit for it. The parts list for this module in gear housing shows no impeller for it in the list when you scroll down to parts list. So checked dozens of sites for a pump kit and all said discontinued but to call they may be able to find one, when I called them they said that they are discontinued for that module. The Marine places near me couldn't even pull up anything on this module and after my days of searching online I understood completely. Then one place told me if anyone had one it would be Sea-Way-Marine, so I called them and he said they have it. I asked how much and he said $100.00 bucks so I got it. Came today full kit with housing. The plugs and gear gasket from Marine engine.com. came today too. Now I just have to put it all together.

Last edited:
???---Well it sure does show a kit for this motor on this site.----Complete with impeller too !!---385447 is the number and clearly shown in a box on the parts page.

I couldn't find it here but I will go back with this part #385447 and look. When I asked yall who would have a water pump kit, racerone you said any Johnson/Evinrude/ BRP/boat shop will have it in stock I think. So I kept looking and like I said even the boat shops here couldn't help either. My bad I guess but will go back and look here again.

Yep it came up now with the part # 385447 for $125.00. I wish I would had a part # before could save me a lot of searching. Too late now; live and learn. I couldn't get this to pull up before or find any kits and really did try several times. This what happens when ya not that savvy like me.:(

Well the original was a pump with an aluminum housing. Replaced by the updated one with plastic housing w/stainless steel liners (way better). I suppose that confuses a lot of people. Doesn't matter now though, since you already got one.

Yep got one now and the original is aluminum. The biggest thing was I couldn't get water pump kits to come up and could only get gear case and parts up.Then as ya scrolled down some of the pieces were not available on it. That part # 385447 brought it right up but didn't have it and couldn't get it to pull any up.Not savvy; as I said. Thanks fdrgator

Well tomorrow I will put this new water pump in and continue the rest of making this boat. Once heard a joke a long time ago about a man saying he just stood there and threw money in it like a bottomless pit. lol; So far it's all I have done but am hoping by spring it will be ready for its first test drive. :) PS I would post more on here if I was a boat mechanic to help but don't want to make a fool of myself or lead anyone in wrong direction on repairs. After I finish this boat maybe I will know enough to help someone with one like it. I do have one question about the new design of this; where the stainless steel housing slides inside of the plastic housing that the impeller goes inside. I seen that some glue steel housing inside of the plastic housing and some don't. Which is right way? "Thanks in advance for opinion".

Last edited:
"Got er done". Newly installed water pump kit, gear housing gasket and shaft seal too. Wasn't to bad once everything was cleaned up. Went right together. Next thing fuel pump diaphram inspection, fuel lines and carbs.

Not yet , I just drained and refilled it while I was trying to get it running. It had sit so long in my building, I just wanted to make sure it would run first and through the years, like 10, I had been lubing everything until I could get a title for the boat; which I did. Before I take it out I will change oil again nylon washers and vent plugs too thanks. " Kimcrwbr1"

Last edited:
DSCN0227.jpgHere's a couple of pictures of what I've done so far to my boat.

This is the Super Slick Steelflex 2000 tried an proven on Air boat for 20 or more years. Can not remember the add they had on it been so long, sorry, but this stuff is like concrete when it dries. I use the aluminum green paint on inside and outside dwn to water line and that stuff is suppose to pennitrate the metal and restore the vitallity restore. It is so strong I almost passed out from fumes even with respirator on.

Attachments

• DSCN0221.jpg
    DSCN0221.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Back