Logo

International Harvester 6 cyl 200 hs Diesel and gas capable

orbit_ii

" I recently bought a world wa

" I recently bought a world war II tug with a I. H. diesel and gas capable, 200 horse engine. I am looking for any literature, knowledge, manuals, anything that might help me know what I got. It runs good but I don't have a clue what I got. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve "

" Steve, as far as I remember,

" Steve, as far as I remember, this is a "Multifuel" engine that runs on anything from gas, diesel, jet fuel, stove oil, alcohol or a combination of whatever is available in wartime. Obviously the better the fuel, the better it runs. A word of caution, if you use anything more volitale than JP 5 (jet fuel) cut it 50% with diesel. Some fuels will burn hotter and shorten engine life, but now for all practical purposes, use a good grade of diesel and a good filter system. (It was rumored that after a night of heavy drinking, you could urinate in the tank and the damn thing would run on it!)Kim "

"Orbit or Kim,

Do either of

"Orbit or Kim,

Do either of you know what model that engine was... I might be able to come up with manuals if we can identify it...

Regards,
Andrew Menkart
MarineEngine.com

P.S. ... sounds useful if one was so busy drinking that they forgot to fuel up...!!!"

" Sorry I looked everywhere on

" Sorry I looked everywhere on the engine, there are numbers on major parts but that was all I could find. A manual would be a dream come true. Thanks, Steve "

" In typical military fashion,

" In typical military fashion, the mdl # was or is probably stamped on a tag, possibly secured to a nearby bulkhead, etc, and probably covered with many layers of lead based military colored paint.(You know, if its not moving paint it, if it moves, salute it)Any multifuel manual would give general info but a specific manual would be neat. National archives or local Army base library??? Good luck, Kim "

" Steve,
How about a picture

" Steve,
How about a picture of it....? I have a friend (a WWII vetran by the way) that could probably identify the model from a picture (or maybe a few pictures).
Regards,
Andrew "

"Steve,

My email is [url=""

"Steve,

My email is [email protected] .

Is is always available by clicking on my name in the blue bar, or at the bottom of every page on the site.

Regards,
Andrew Menkart
MarineEngine.com"

"[img][/img]"

"
"

" You might start looking for

" You might start looking for info on Int UD 14, UD 16, UD 18 Stationary power units.
They used many models of this engine to power sawmills and generate power. I have on that is so old it is a McCormick Derring.
PD40 is also a number that may have been used on it.
Go to the "old iron" chat rooms .\Use AOL and Google search for power units,marine engines,antique marine engines . It takes time but you can find anything on the net.
I may be able to find an address of a club that I got info from on an old Wakashaw engine and eveen got bearing specs for a 1927 Universal gas engine. They are in Vermont . I will see if I can find the address and post it.
Also check with International/Case Farm Machinery dealers ..they may just have a manual laying around. "

Back