Logo

Adding a tell tale water outlet 1964 Merc 850

tlcausey

Hello, wanting to add a tell tale to my 1964 Mercury 850. There is a water pressure plug on the top of the motor, I was told I could remove the screw and add it there. Anyone know if I would need some kind of valve to regulate the amount of water coming out. Thanks

I added one to a 9.8 just drill a hole for a 1/8 inch tap in the water jacket and just tap it far enough to get three good threads then put permatex on the threads pf a brass 90 degree nipple. I then added the pisser fitting through the lower cowl it worked put well. Just keep the drill bit coated in bearing grease to catch the shavings same with the tap.

I just picked up one of these 90-degree brass 1/8" NPT male-to-female fittings to use at the top of a 115hp block I built.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U94022/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It lets you run the hose out the side and keep a low profile, so it doesn't interfere with anything in the top hat.

Just pull that 1/8" plug at the top of the block and screw-in the brass fitting. Then pick up an appropriate straight male fitting with hose barb, screw into the brass fitting, and you're good.

You can also add a telltale discharge fitting at the Stbd lower rear of the cowling, it'll give you a nice stream and directs the flow away from the cowling.

OMC has a number of fittings that just snap into a drilled hole. Here's one used on many engines:

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0321885

Or just run a 1/8" or 3/16" hose off the fitting, thru a small hole drilled in the lower cowling. That should give some restriction, to provide for a build-up of pressure, giving you a more energetic stream out the hose.

HTH...........ed

Attachments

• 0321885 Telltale Nipple.jpg
    0321885 Telltale Nipple.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 90 Degree Telltale Fitting.jpg
    90 Degree Telltale Fitting.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 15
Back