Logo

Not sure what I have

Brass Monkey

Hi team - Thanks in advance for all your expert advice.

I recently bought a 1995 Crestliner fishing boat - 19 ft with a 175hp Mariner outboard.

The boat didn't come with any keys so I have not even tried to turn it over. Before I do I plan to go through it some just to give the best chance of success.

To do that though - i need to start by knowing what I have. I'm going to show my ignorance here - but I'm not sure if its a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Previous owner had a stroke & it sat in his back yard for the past 10 years. I got it for a good price but have zero info on it.

SN is 5316401

No model number listed - just says Mariner - mariner International co. Fon Du Lac WIS.

Any idea what I have?

Is there an oil dip stick ?----An external oil filter ?----A fill cap on the block ?-----A drain for crankcase oil ?----A belt on top of the motor to drive a camshaft ?----Valve covers ?----These are things to look for.------If you are not sure what you have DO NOT START it.

Is there an oil dip stick ?----An external oil filter ?----A fill cap on the block ?-----A drain for crankcase oil ?----A belt on top of the motor to drive a camshaft ?----Valve covers ?----These are things to look for.------If you are not sure what you have DO NOT START it.

I brought it home on Saturday & then we got 6 inches of snow - so I have not had a chance to do anything with it. I was hoping I could spend the next week or two doing online research to get a good plan in place before trying to bring it back to life.

The boat sat for 10+ years - the hull is aluminum & in really good shape though the interior is gross. My plan was to give it a good solid cleaning stem to stern & then pop the cover & start looking around. Truth be told - it's 10 degrees outside & I'm too big of a puss to go out there & look around much.

Good news is we know it's a 2 stroke - I'll look for the oil tank - there are a couple of spin on lids in the floor by the engine - I assumed it was an access to the fuel tank sending unit - but it might be an oil tank. The boat holds 50 gallons of gas.

Any guess on the engine year? The boat & trailer are both 1995 - I'm hoping the engine is too.

Back