Logo

1957 FD-11 18 HP Johnson

57 johnson

I have a FD 11 Johnson with the pin that sits in 2 slots for the shift linkage in the bottom cover. Will the bottom cover off of a newer gearbox that has the pin that screws in from the side work on the older gearbox? If so will the old shift linkage work and what years & HP gearbox cover should I look for.

Some will argue-----The bottom and top cover are machined as a set and are matching parts.---Thus it may not be an exact fit.---Many have been swapped / switched in the past.------Any of those bottom covers up to 76 I think will be a candidate for a swap.

Some will argue-----The bottom and top cover are machined as a set and are matching parts.---Thus it may not be an exact fit.---Many have been swapped / switched in the past.------Any of those bottom covers up to 76 I think will be a candidate for a swap.---Even some early 10 hp motors have the same cover.

???-----The OP is asking about what is normally called the SKEG on his lower unit !!----See post # 3 for details.-----The early skegs had a pin for the pivot point on the shifter fork that was internal in a groove on the skeg.----Later skegs had a pivot pin that screwed in from the outside !

Back