Logo
Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default Oil Injection or Premix

I have a late '80s Merc 3 cyl with Oil Injection. While cruising up river the oil alarm went off so I cut the motor and checked the oil level. there was plenty of oil. I restarted the motor and no alarm. It's a good motor, so my question is am i better off to drain the oil from the oil injection and just run premix? Or keep the oil injection tank full and use 100:1 premix as insurance? If I don't use the oil injection, by not filling the tank and just running premix, am I likely to damage anything in the motor, for instance anything to do with the oil injection mechanicals?

thanks
    Pad

Default Re: Oil Injection or Premix

Quote Originally Posted by pad1 View Post
    I have a late '80s Merc 3 cyl with Oil Injection. While cruising up river the oil alarm went off so I cut the motor and checked the oil level. there was plenty of oil. I restarted the motor and no alarm. It's a good motor, so my question is am i better off to drain the oil from the oil injection and just run premix? Or keep the oil injection tank full and use 100:1 premix as insurance? If I don't use the oil injection, by not filling the tank and just running premix, am I likely to damage anything in the motor, for instance anything to do with the oil injection mechanicals?

thanks
    Pad
    Ok, I know this subject has been done to death. but hey, I do have some info, having visited a local boat repair shop. If you want to run pre-mix, you have to disconnect the pump. One hour's labour, i'm told. If you don't want to run pre-mix and use the oil injection, just keep an eye on the temp guage. Well, as it happens, my temp guage has been disconnected for some reason, maybe it was setting the alarm off as well. So, pre mix it is. just have to get the boat shop to disconnect the injection pump..

Usually its the float or module on those models...the oil injection rarely fails on the 3/4 cylinders as its a bottom driven design.So good the only thing monitored is the oil level..
    Pappys Sales and Service
    Owner and Factory Certified Technician
    Former racer KDBA (Kentucky Drag Boat Association)

Quote Originally Posted by faztbullet View Post
    Usually its the float or module on those models...the oil injection rarely fails on the 3/4 cylinders as its a bottom driven design.So good the only thing monitored is the oil level..
    So, am I understanding you correctly....I'm better off without the Temp guage? just monitor oil levels? the dude from the boat shop said that it was probably the float that stuck...

cheers