Logo

Understanding watts propulsion

Jpbeauchemin

Trying to figure out which of these two motors would put out more power. It would be easier if they were rated in thrust.

Motor 1:
24 volts
1164 watts propulsion

Motor 2:
48 volts
1000 watts propulsion

See this is why I'm confused the same manufacturer makes both motors. They say the 48v is more powerful. Its certainly more expensive and physically larger. but the 24v has more watts

is the any footnote with the specs? it could just be power consumed.....agree that a thrust provided would be a better metric.

why not just call the mfg's tech support line and see if they can provide the info you want?

If it comes with pulse width modulation to power the motor the watts formula don't work....the 48v will have higher thrust than a 24v

Watts divided by volts equals amps or current. The 24 volt motor is pulling 48.5 amps and the 48 volt motor is pulling around 21 amps. Not sure if it applys here but by my calcs 24v has over twice the thrust?

Troll motors are rated by thrust not amps. My Motorguide is dual 24/36 and is 75lbs on 24v and 110lbs on 36v. It has the digital motor and I can get 2 days fishing before charge where the old 24v brush motor only a day. A 24v will never have the thrust of a 36/48v

Back