Logo

2006 BF225 Water in Oil

Everglades260CC

Contributing Member
Background: went out fishing the other day, noticed water seeping from under cowl and after a bit had slight drop off in rpms on port motor. Heading 30 miles offshore decided it was fuel filter or just time for season maintence. Fished all day, heading back same issue. Engine started running rough only a few miles from port. Larger drop off in rpms. Found small hose near bottom of starter off and blowing water under cowl. Cleaned the engine off and put her away for weekend. Ordered parts for top end maintence (filters, plugs, tstats)

Issue: Upon completing maintence found some bad plugs with deposits, however depoits appeared to be fuel related due to color and texture. Decided to check oil and found water in system.

Results: At local Honda dealer now. They changed oil and peforned compression check. Have one bad cylinder at 30 psi, suppose to be 200psi. They are removing heads now to keep diagnosing. Will post updates as we go.

Figured I would post and this might help someone in future when i get to root cause. Might be asking you guys if there are any engines for parts or used out there you know of. Stay tuned.

The hose that came off - was that the hose to the tell tail? If so, not sure how that could have gotten water in the oil or the cylinder.

Looks like part of the return on the exhaust manifold thermostat diagram. Originally i was thinking the hose was blowing water all day under cowl and the inlet was sucking it in. However, when the oil was checked the entire dipstick was registering liquid. The entire dipstick, not the high oil mark, but the whole stick, oil sump chocked full of water. Something else must be going on. Prior to going out that day, all systems and oil checked were functioning fine.

It was hose / Part 9 number here:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...A6 XCA/EXHAUST MANIFOLD THERMOSTAT/parts.html

Today was good news. Shop removed more components including heads. In short the engine was chocked full of water, including the air inlet, full of water! They inspected the block and heads, cleaned pistons and found no issues. They recommended to rebuild heads since we are here and I’m going to get injectors done as well. I’m heading up in the morning to review and take a look. I have no problem doing the recommendations and getting engine refreshed especially at 12 years old and 1100 hours. Should be good to go in a week or so.

Yep - that is good news. Don't forget to change out the fuel filter on the fuel rail while you're in there.

Also, I don't know about the time or duration, but I suspect there should be a break in period on the refurbished heads to make sure the valves seat well.

Thanks C-Hawk. Yup, getting some much needed love after 12 years of service. I’ll check with Honda mech on the break in. Thanks! Engine should be tight when he’s done!

Let us know what the shop did and the results when you get it back on the water.

No other findings or damage due to water ingestion. Heads were installed Thursday, mechanic took sea trial today and said engines were purring. I had some other work done because of the disassembled engine and they were right there any way. No break-in necessary on heads. Heading out fishing am, should be good to go.

Looks like it. Next time you pull maintenance, you might want to check and apply spray (like CRC 656) to every electrical connector you can find.

So what caused the intake full of water or Waa it a cracked block or head in the end?
To get to top of dipstick level is about 20 litres , that's about 12 litres of water in the case.

I'm having the same problem with a 2008 BF225. I thought I had a bad head gasket so I replaced it with a Felpro from Autozone. Still getting a ton of water in the block so I bought a Honda head gasket and new head bolts. Still doing the same thing. Getting water in the block and in the exhaust to where I'm getting a soupy mess out of the foot.

Back