Logo

1957 Evinrude 5.5 Steering Pilot Shaft Stuck

Hi, I've got a 1957 Evinrude 5.5 with very stiff steering.

I tried moving it back and forth a ton and it has freed up a bit but it's still not smooth enough for usage.

I took the motor off its cradle and removed the handle/throttle assembly from the top of the pilot shaft. I've tried whacking the bottom of the shaft with a rubber mallet and a dead blow hammer but it just will not come out. I've looked and looked and I can't see anything that would be holding it in.

I soaked the mounting bracket/pilot shaft assembly in a solvent tank and it has freed up some more but still takes quite a bit of effort.

If someone has any insight on this problem the help would be much appreciated!

Salt corrosion usually gathers around the top nylon bearing and freezes it solid.

Use a hand held propane torch to heat the aluminum surrounding the shaft, especially at the top and bottom areas to expand the metal. That ought to do it.

Welcome to the world of old outboard repair. Chemicals, heat and time is your friends one of those 1/4 inch drive cordless impact wrenches help also.

Yes most parts are available here or on ebay just take your time i prefer power steering fluid as a liquid wrench. For broken bolts drill a pilot hole center all the way through and fill the hole with ps fluid and after-a day or so use a reverse spinning drill bit and try and back out the bolt.

I have had this same problem on several motors over the years and found that the use of a propane torch has always successfully solved the problem. The secret is to patiently keep the torch moving and concentrate the tip of the flame where the heat is to be applied. There is a lot of aluminum to heat and I've found that it can take 25 minutes or more for the heat to be absorbed and the aluminum to expand. Be patient and never force anything!

Water holds a lot of heat.----Pouring boiling water on an assembly like this does magic.-----No danger in paint or aluminum damage.----Very quick too.

Salt corrosion usually gathers around the top nylon bearing and freezes it solid.

Use a hand held propane torch to heat the aluminum surrounding the shaft, especially at the top and bottom areas to expand the metal. That ought to do it.

So, I tried the blowtorch method of heating the top and bottom of the shaft, where the bushings are and now the shaft will no longer rotate and is almost completely frozen in place.

How do I take this apart so I can replace the bushings?

Did you try the power steering fluid? Alternate heat and chemicals the ps fluid will eventually dossolve the corrosion your fighting.

I have not tried the power steering fluid yet. I liberally soaked the top bushing with liquid wrench after taking the steering handle off, and I have taped off the holes in the bottom of the pilot shaft and am going to fill it with boiling water to try and expand the shaft fully. I’m going to repeat the boiling water several times and see what happens.

And now for how I've done it on about a ton of various motors. You actually didn't need to take it that far apart, but since you did, no problem. As long as you can rotate it, albeit with difficulty, it will come apart. You need to clamp it to something heavy, like a boat. Put the steering bracket back on, if you haven't already.

Now you need something to lift a heavy weight, like a hoist. Or two big guys that turn green when agitated. The trick is to lift the steering bracket/pivot shaft up and out while turning it back and forth. Trust me, I've done it lots of times, and on bigger motors like 35hp....and salt water use.

Once you get it apart, remove the upper liner and scrape the corrosion out that you will find around the liner. Don't lose the pin that holds the liner in place. Grease everything liberally with waterproof marine grease and reassemble.

Back