Logo

2000 ficht ram injection lower drive help

Kevmarti75

Hey guys I need some help. I just bought a 2001 tri-toon with a 150 ficht ram injection (E150FPLSSM). The engine runs great but there is a loud knocking noise that I have found coming from the lower unit while the engine is in neutral So I drained the lower unit and discovered the following. The magnets on the drain plugs seem to just have normal fuzzy metal no chunks. Only approx 1/2 to maybe 3/4 of a quart of oil came out. The oil was pure black and smelled bad and a little burnt.

So with that said 1 how much oil should be in the lower unit. 2 since no chucks of metal were on the magnets do y'all feel the gears might be okay. 3 if it wasn't enough oil in it would it cause it to knock.

1) is this on muffs and hose that you hear noise or in water?? 2) Usually if its a LU problem it will make noise all the time. 3) I would run a compression test 1st and make sure you fuel pump fuse. 4) If it is lower unit its usually the pinion bearing failing...

1) is this on muffs and hose that you hear noise or in water?? 2) Usually if its a LU problem it will make noise all the time. 3) I would run a compression test 1st and make sure you fuel pump fuse. 4) If it is lower unit its usually the pinion bearing failing...

Yes it knocks with the muffs on. I'll check the compression. It knocks in neutral and in forward but not as loud in gear.
How much oil and what kind do I put back in the lower so I can refill it

You shouldn’t hear knocking. Gear oil always smells funky but black looking isn’t good. Refill it using Evinrude HPF PRO fluid and try again. It should take about 34 ounces to fill the LU.

Back