Logo

Where can I get a scan tool?

kdhskiff

Is there a marine scan tool available from either Honda or the aftermarket? Or is there an adapter available that would allow connection of an automotive HDS or similar scan tool? Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

I have this one and the couple of times I've used it, it has worked well. I like it. But, because I haven't really had a chance to operate all it's features, I recommend you do your homework and ask plenty of questions before you buy because I can't do a complete review about features since I haven't tried them all.

I can tell you that they are in Australia and are very communicative and willing to answer questions.

http://brpdiagnostics.com/honda-dr-h-outboard-diagnostic/

Good luck.

Several folks on this forum and others have posted about getting very good service from the Dr. H sold by BRP Diagnostics. THe system to offer is basically the connectors and software. You provide your own laptop computer.

Last edited:
kdhskiff,
I hope you find something that suits your needs.
Welcome aboard the forum and please keep us updated about how your search is going. I'm sure there are plenty of members that will be watching with interest and you may be able to help someone find a good deal!

I've looked into the Dr H & Healtech offerings, and may invest in one, but wanted to see if there was a basic plug-in, hand held, scan tool that did not require a CD or laptop. Similar to what's available in the automotive market.

The only one I'm aware of is the Honda dealer version. But if you're not a dealer, in good standing, you can't get one. And, even if you had one you can't get updates unless you have access to the Honda "network".

I've seen them advertised for around $3k but you had better make sure it's "loaded" before you buy. And, even if you have that kind O scratch, you would still be out in the cold on updates without dealer status.

The only one I'm aware of is the Honda dealer version. But if you're not a dealer, in good standing, you can't get one. And, even if you had one you can't get updates unless you have access to the Honda "network".

I've seen them advertised for around $3k but you had better make sure it's "loaded" before you buy. And, even if you have that kind O scratch, you would still be out in the cold on updates without dealer status.

For the record I am a Honda auto tech...for more years than I care to remember! Am I to understand that the Honda marine guys have a hand-held scanner and not a diagnostic/interface/laptop affair like we have at the dealership? I suppose I could contact our DPSM and ask....

All I know is that when I worked for a Honda outboard dealer we had one that consisted of a somewhat cumbersome affair that was made up of a Hewlit Packard PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) piggybacked to a high capacity battery for taking on test drives.

It wasn't like a Snap On Verus or similar but could be considered a scan tool that listed live data, snap shot and bi-directional functions. They called that HDS or Honda Diagnostic System.

That was around 2012. It is my understanding they still use those tools but have since developed something a bit more sleek.

So, yes, if you have an "in" at Honda, you may be able to get one. I know that the dealer I worked for was charged over $2k for the HDS package by Honda.

Last edited:
Yes, we use the HDS and I am quite familiar with it and the processes. Did yours have a dedicated Honda marine PCM connector? Or was there an adapter or cable of sorts? I'm wondering if I obtain the cable/adapter if our HDS will work? I'm going to dig deeper, and when I find out, I'll post my findings.

It's been a while so my memory may not be accurate but I'm fairly sure it had a dedicated cable that simply plugged into the outboard.

The thing is, we never actually used ours as we weren't a "real" dealer. We were a large recreation concern with hundreds of rentals. I never saw an outboard larger than the BF 20 D so I never got to "play" with it.

I think besides the cable, you would also need the proper software loaded to the pda so that it speaks "outboard". But, if you're a Honda car tech, you probably only need to know what "base" engine you're dealing with since many of the EFI outboards are built on auto platforms. Although, I think, that too, has been changing in the last few years. I'm not sure as I'm not in the "game", car or boat, anymore.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Mine came with a CD that installs the program on the laptop permanently and has lifetime free updates. Once the software is installed, you no longer need the CD. It has a USB cable that plugs into the laptop and the other end plugs into the red plug on the engine

Spoke with our DPSM and he contacted the zone marine rep and the only system available is the CD/interface/cable/laptop affair. No plug-and-play hand-held scanner is available, at least from Mother Honda. I'm sure a big tool outfit like Snap-on etc may come out with something at some point.

Well, thanks for the report. I don't think Snap-On or the other tool hawks have identified a big enough market for one or we would already see it.
But, like you say, maybe someday. It won't be cheap though!

Back