Logo

5 HP Nissan No Spark

Bullie

Regular Contributor
I usually stick with my old OMCs but... (How many times have you heard that?) Anyway, a friend of a friend asked me to look at this motor for him. It's a Nissan 5 HP NS5B 369-1 305xx. The owner had tinkered a good deal with it before I looked at it. He had replaced the coil with one that had the plug wire facing the front of the motor. I tried his set-up..no spark. I then took that coil off, cleaned all the grounds well, cut off 3/8 of the plug wire then reinserted it, and retested. No spark. I also disconnected the kill switch wire and tested again. No spark.

What should I try next?

I checked the lead out of the pack to the coil. I got no reading at all. I reversed the wires and tried again. Still no reading.

Last edited:
I switched to my other meter. I am getting approx 40v from the black/yellow lead going to the coil. I checked the troubleshooting section on CDI and it says 110v minimum. The other leads produced voltage that is in the acceptable range. Is it a safe bet to assume it's the power pack?

What are the pulser and ignitor ohm readings? If you don't charge the CD well, it won't have enough for a spark.

Those numbers are OK. Did you use a DVA to read the output of the CD? It should pulse at 198-220 DVA. The exciter should be 135-150 DVA, and the pulser should be 4.75-5 DVA. If you have good input and poor output, you need a new CD.

Thanks pvanv! All the numbers checked out from the input side so I purchased a new CD. Installed the CD and it is running well now. Thanks!

Kinda funny now, but the guy that asked me to take a look at it is a friend of a friend and when I called him to let him know the motor was running he asked me how much I wanted for the work, he also mentioned that he had worked at a local marine dealer for awhile but wasn't great at electronics (me neither). Anyway, when he dropped the motor off he also asked me to install an impeller. did that. I had to remove the carb because it was leaking badly. I think he, or someone else, had not put the bowl gasket on correctly so I fixed that and cleaned the carb while I was in there. So, finding the ignition problem (with your help) and acquiring the parts, installing an impeller, and setting the carb right wasn't worth $100. People!

Thanks again though. You helped me through it and I learned a little bit more.

I understand. Have him price out a new 5 hp motor for comparison. BTW, I always do the complete wp kit, as it lasts longer and pumps better, as the side clearances are always a little loose when doing just the impeller.

Back