Logo

Crusader 454's (1989 Tiara 3600 Convertible)

I recently purchased a 1989 TIARA 3600 Convertible equipped with original Crusader 454's. The engines are closed cooled. I'm not sure if the coolant hoses are original or have been replaced, either way they are pretty shoddy looking. My concern is that if the previous owner ( a pretty poor do it your self-er)may not have used the correct diameter hosing. I want replace the hoses, but I want to make sure I'm using the correct inside and outside diameter hoses....can you tell me the correct stock hose to use???

Thanks
Warren

Ayuh,.... Generally speakin', the replacement hoses almost have to be the same diameter, to connect to the hose barbs,.....

The bulk of them should be 1.25"ID....usually buying a roll and cutting each segment to length is the economical way to go....and buy new ALL stainless clamps, too.

would also be a good idea to get the HX pressure tested while it is drained...and the oil coolers too....they're close to 30 years old.

Thank you for your advice.
I was pretty sure they should be 1.25id, but the lettering was very faint on the existing hoses and since the boat is buried in snow till Spring, I had no chance to remove one and measure the fittings. Prior to purchase, the marine survey detected weak spots in both heat exchangers and oil coolers...all were replaced by the owner as part of the sale.

Thanks again
W.

then you should be good to go....from memory, all the hoses are the same ID except for the 'suction' hose, from the HX to the circulation pump on the front of the block....that one is molded and usually the factory part works with the least hassle.

Should be good to go with the new coolers and HXs...just keep a good coolant in there and check its pH spring and fall...

How do you detect weak spots in oil coolers? My Tiara is 3 years older than yours. I'd better give them a look.

In my case while having a mechanical survey done, the technician found an obvious pinhole leak in 1 heat exchanger on one engine and similar pinhole leak in the oil cooler on the opposite engine. It was negotiated with the seller, that since they were all original components, then the other unit couldn't be too far behind before it too would break down. He paid for the broken units, I paid to have the others replaced just to be safe.

Back